PDA

View Full Version : Need som expertise with Card odds....(!)

Jimbolito
12-15-2003, 11:49 AM
Ivīe got a question about Holdīem. Itīs about odds.

Lets imagine a situation in Low-limit holdīem, the flop comes, and then....should I calculate the card odds for just the turn, or both the turn and the river together? Cuz if I do the last, I will get better odds of winning, but then I have to calculate the effective potodds, wich can be right hard for a "rookie".

So is it right to calculate the card odds one by one, first compare the turn with the pottodds....then if your card didnīt show, calulate for the river and compare with the pott??

And if both is right, in wich situation do you prefer using wich?

I really wanna know this cuz itīs killing me that I dont know if Iīm playing right.

\\Jimbolito.

Henke
12-15-2003, 12:33 PM
For lower limit play, I would guess pot-odds is enough (most of the time). Effective odds are a bit tricky to work with since you would have to anticipate the number of bets that will be put in on the turn and how many players that will call those bets. I think you need some experience before you can trust your judgement in those matters.

One exception though.. If your effective odds on the flop say you are a favorite on new money coming in, you should raise if you can anticipate many callers. This usually happens with str8 and/or fldraws. For example, let's say you have Kh Qh on the button, and you are against 3 limpers with a flop of Ah8h7d. First limper bets, the other two call. Now, you are a favorite on new money coming in (your flushdraw gives you about 1.75:1 in effodds, and for every bet you put in, they will put in 3, which gives you "new money odds" of 3:1). /images/graemlins/diamond.gif