PDA

View Full Version : Did I wuss out on the river?

XPac
12-15-2003, 10:33 AM
1/2 HE at PP, loose/passive

I'm dealt 4 /images/graemlins/spade.gif J /images/graemlins/spade.gif in the SB

EP calls, MP calls, LP calls, I call, BB checks. 5 to the flop.

FLOP:
2 /images/graemlins/spade.gif 5 /images/graemlins/club.gif Q /images/graemlins/spade.gif
I check, BB checks, EP bets, MP + LP fold, I call, BB folds.
Heads up to the turn.

TURN:
T /images/graemlins/spade.gif

I check (planning to checkraise), EP bets, I raise, he re-raises, I cap...(here's where I got a little scared he might have a better flush)

RIVER:
2 /images/graemlins/club.gif
I check (with the intention of check calling - is this WAY too weak for this situation), he CHECKS /images/graemlins/mad.gif

I take it down (he held the A /images/graemlins/spade.gif so he was drawing to the nut flush but missed it on the river), but more importantly should I have bet out here? I think I should. My only fear was that this player was a typical loose/passive player (rarely showed much aggression), but he did get aggressive on the turn which was slightly out of character for him, that's why I gave him a little credit for higher flush.

Brian
12-15-2003, 10:50 AM
Hi xpac,

Capping the Turn and then checking the River is rarely the correct play. If you thought you were behind to a high Flush on the Turn, then you should have stopped when he re-raised you. However, with the board pairing on the River, I certainly wouldn't blame you for checking.

-Brian

TheRake
12-15-2003, 10:59 AM
xpac,
I think this hand plays much easier if you bet out on your flush draw. I don't see any problem with the attemted river check call after all the aggression at the turn. I don't think you lost any bets, because he would have folded anyway. You made a couple of extra bets on the turn since he way overplayed his A /images/graemlins/spade.gif.

TheRake

stoxtrader
12-15-2003, 03:17 PM
I think check call is the play here - the turn cap could easily be an overplayed set on this board with EP giving you credit only for top pair or two pair...I think even an overplayed A /images/graemlins/spade.gifQx only calls a river bet here half of the time and the rest of the time you are beat by a rivered boat or a higher flush.