PDA

View Full Version : Suggestions for a good Omaha Hi Lo Book

Dangeresque
12-15-2003, 06:24 AM
Um, yeah that's pretty much it.
What have you read, what's good. And what has good starting hand values, etc.

Nottom
12-15-2003, 12:08 PM
Hi/Lo Split for Advanced Players is very good.

It doesn't specifically say that AA23d is good and that 7889 is crap, but it tells you what to look for in starters and lets you figure out what is good or bad on your own. Some people don't like the fact that it doesn't tell you exactly how to play, but I think thats what makes it a better book that most.

crockpot
12-15-2003, 02:05 PM
unfortunately, there just isn't enough basic strategy in omaha/8 to fill an entire book. all you really need to know is to draw only to the nuts, don't raise preflop for value, don't play mediocre draws for half the pot, recognize when you may be getting quartered, etc.

that said, ray zee's high-low split book is quite good, although most of it is designed for use in tougher games than you're probably used to.

Acesover8s
12-15-2003, 03:56 PM
[ QUOTE ]
all you really need to know is to draw only to the nuts, don't raise preflop for value

[/ QUOTE ]

tell me you're kidding, please.

crockpot
12-16-2003, 04:54 PM
okay, i will change my statement to "1 or 2 out of every 100 hands you're dealt is worth raising preflop for value." in an incredibly loose game (60% or more/flop), perhaps that number can be increased to 3 or 4. my point is just that the typical player is a hell of a lot better off never raising than raising at their typical frequency.

Clarkmeister
12-17-2003, 03:21 AM
I think Zee's book is outstanding.

imported_Chuck Weinstock
12-18-2003, 01:01 PM
We (ConJelCo) have just published a new book, Winning Omaha/8 Poker by Mark Tenner and Lou Krieger. I think it's pretty good but you all will be the judge of that. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Chuck

Mike Gallo
12-18-2003, 05:50 PM
I will go one step further, I liked it best out of all of the other advanced series books.

jedi
12-20-2003, 03:27 AM
I just bought a book by Mike Cappeletti. It's on its way from Amazon.com. He's the usual Omaha/8 writer for Cardplayer Magazine so I hope it's good.

bigpooch
12-20-2003, 01:32 PM
What do you mean it doesn't say AA23 is good? I seem to
recall reading about that specific hand in the book. I also
recall that Zee mentioned specifically not playing hands
with medium cards. Did we read the same book?