PDA

View Full Version : Right color, wrong suit

03-26-2002, 04:19 PM
On the button with KJ of clubs. six limpers.

By the river the board is 10s-Qs-x-x-9s.

It's heads up, player 1 checks, I bet, he calls.

I turn over my hand, he looks and says your flush is bigger and throws his cards into the muck. He then looks back at my cards and says You don't have a flush. I told him I never said I did, and as a matter of fact I even announced my straight.

Now, I never even saw his cards, and they were already well mixed into the muck. The pot was huge, and I felt bad about winning this way.

I thought about splitting the pot to quiet him down, as this was a juicy game with some loose, fun loving players, and it would have been profitable to keep it thay way, but he was such a jerk about it.

My thoughts are this:

1) players need to turn over thier hands and protect them. Let the cards speak.

2) If you throw your winner away, it's your own damn fault.

3) Never take the wind out of a great game.

4) Always be gracious in defeat. You'ld be suprised how many players WILL actually give you half the pot when your winner accidentally gets mucked, whether by the dealer or yourself.

Just my thoughts on a an irritating situation that came up.

03-26-2002, 04:38 PM
You said "4) Always be gracious in defeat. You'ld be suprised how many players WILL actually give you half the pot when your winner accidentally gets mucked, whether by the dealer or yourself. "

I want to play in this game, not that I repeatedly muck a winning hand but being polite comes natural to me and saying I mucked a winning had ocassionally to get half of a monster pot might be a good bluff. Address please!!

Jimbo

03-26-2002, 04:50 PM
If I saw your cards before they got mucked, not on your word alone.

03-26-2002, 05:27 PM
"It's heads up, player 1 checks, I bet, he calls.

I turn over my hand, he looks and says your flush is bigger and throws his cards into the muck."

Which thing do players do most?

1) Muck their winning hand at the showdown.

2) Lie about their losing hand at the showdown.

I think #2 outnumbers #1 by at least 1000:1

Tommy

03-26-2002, 05:35 PM
Not this time. He was absolutelty beside himself, blaming me, the dealer, etc. No, he tossed a flush. My point is, had he layed his cards face up for everyone to see, then tossed his hand, I would consider splitting the pot. I would not give anyone a dime based on their word (except of course, my dear sweet mother).

03-26-2002, 05:55 PM
If he had layed his cards face-up & then tossed his cards (and he had a flush), he should get the entire pot. Once he shows the winning hand, the pot is his regardless of any stupid actions he makes afterwards.

03-26-2002, 06:26 PM
"Not this time. He was absolutelty beside himself, blaming me, the dealer, etc. No, he tossed a flush."

If your certainty that he had a flush is unaffected by actually seeing his cards, then, by your reasoning, you should have given him money back.

Tommy