PDA

View Full Version : Playing AA

daveymck
12-14-2003, 08:05 PM
Party Poker 0.50/1 (10 handed)
Hero has A/images/graemlins/spade.gif, A/images/graemlins/heart.gif and is EP2

UTG limps, EP1 limps, Hero raises, MP3 calls, CO 3-bets, Button folds, SB folds, BB folds, UTG calls, EP1 calls, Hero caps, MP3 calls, CO calls, UTG calls, EP1 calls

Flop(22 SB): Q/images/graemlins/spade.gif, 4/images/graemlins/club.gif, 7/images/graemlins/heart.gif

UTG checks, EP1 checks, Hero bets, MP3 folds, CO raises, UTG calls, EP1 calls, Hero calls

Turn(26 BB): 2/images/graemlins/heart.gif

UTG checks, EP1 checks, Hero bets, CO calls, UTG folds, EP1 calls

River(28 BB): Q/images/graemlins/diamond.gif

EP1 checks, Hero checks, CO checks

Reads I had, CO was loose and prepared to bluff, but wasnt complete maniac. EP1 was typical party player didnt raise their AA or bet it when it was top pair post flop can have no idea what they really have.

My thought process pre flop the reraise by the cutoff had me thinking high pocket pairs probably KK-JJ (discounted AA as I had it), no real clues on the EP1 but would have to guess the same maybe slighly less as didnt cold call.

On the flop the Q worried me felt there was a chance of QQ out there so when co raised me and ep cold called 2 bets slowed down and didnt raise (probably a mistake)

Still bet the turn no raises so maybe Q high is opposition.

So river again panicked me so checked only with intention of check calling.

Comments on play and what did they have?

Eihli
12-14-2003, 08:26 PM
Only thing I would have done different is cap the flop.

If EP1 isn't a player that would bet out with trips on the river and not go for the c/r, then I put him on A7s, if he would c/r it, then Qx. CO has a pocket pair, TT, JJ, or KK.

daveymck
12-15-2003, 05:48 AM
EP1 had A4 spades

CO had A6 clubs

So I took it down, it was a hand that stoodout again where maybe I didnt show as much agression as I should, but then I wasnt 100% sure I had the best hand at the river.

ramjam
12-15-2003, 06:40 AM
Eihli

I'd be interested to know why do you not recommend betting the river for value. Doesn't AA rate to be the best hand a majority of the time here and, given the size of the pot and no A or K on the board, isn't any pair likely to call?

Eihli
12-15-2003, 09:49 AM
It depends on how the other players played. If EP1 liked to c/r and there is a good chance that the CO will bet the river for me, then I'd rather check behind and let the CO bet for me, then I'm able to fold for 0 bets if EP1 c/r. If they are both loose passive players and would play many hands that I beat this same way and neither player is tricky, I'd bet out.

SoCalPat
12-15-2003, 03:13 PM
Pre flop: Wouldn't have done it any other way.

Flop: I would three-bet here.

Turn: I, too, would probably bet out, but going for the CR from the CO after the blankiest of blanks falls would be a good play also.

River: The 2nd Q would scare me off as well. But when it's checked around, I gotta believe MHIG.

stoxtrader
12-15-2003, 03:19 PM
three bet the flop - the rest of the hand gets a lot easier if your opponents are forced to decide whether to cap it here.

CMangano
12-15-2003, 03:28 PM
You need to 3 bet this flop. First, on this board you very likely have the best hand. Second, UTG and EP1 have already called 2 cold, so if you 3 bet they are certain to call that, and even if CO caps they will certainly call that.

Players at this limit will call with A high or any miracle draw on the flop, and then fold the turn if they don't improve. Even if your plan was to check-raise the CO on the turn I still wouldn't like it (unless the CO caps the flop). There is a good chance the CO will bet the turn and UTG and EP1 will fold if they don't improve, thus costing you bets. Plus, there is always the chance the turn will be checked through. Get the bets in from the players while you can especially when they are probably drawing practically dead.

I bet this river 100% of the time and call 1 raise. But maybe that is too aggressive.

daveymck
12-15-2003, 06:45 PM
I had no c/r plans, one of the things I am learning both in game and by hands posted here is at this limit not to fancy play, so still bet on the turn.

Three betting on the flop is an element of my game that I need to develop, in other hands I have posted in the past the lack of aggression has been commented upon and I have taken it on board, still at times though my fear of the monster is still there. Having said that since that has been said to me I am trying to develop aggressive play at the right times although I realise it comes more from feel and reads than just here are the guidelines.

I still feel my river play was ok a bet for value could have turned into two bets to see three queens, had it been heads up then I might have been more inclined but there was 2 people out there.

daveymck
12-15-2003, 07:02 PM
I wrote this then had exactly the same thing happen the next hand at TCG

Sitting with AK raised pf ace hits with a Q on the flop each time checked to me and I bet they call, Q hits on the river this time I bet out , its next player calls as do I and take the pot down.

Funny how things happen and how this time I had a little less fear of the set.