PDA

View Full Version : Believe in yourself or not?

Poker Jon
12-14-2003, 01:48 PM
Just left a Stars tourney. 619 runners. Approx 170 left top money is really at the final 18. ABout 2 hours through and I have T5700.

I am in middle position. Hero is in the seat to the left of me with about T7000. We are the two biggest stacks at the table.

Blinds are 100/200 I think.

I pick up 99.

Our hero raises to 1600. Now I sit and think. We have been at the table for a while, seems quite tight, but has made a couple of loose plays. I don't think he has AA or KK as he wouldnt have raised 8xBB IMO.

I decided to put him on a small pair lower than my 99' with the raise indicating he doesnt want high cards calling. After thinking for a bit, I push my stack all in. Hero then thinks for a bit and calls with QQ.

I go out.

I would normally fold 99 in this spot, but I felt I had a read on him. I was wrong and went out.

I know in poker you are supposed to play your opponents cards and not yours (to some extent). I also think that if our hero has 1010, jj it is a difficult call. QQ marginal.

How many of you guys/gals, if you thought you had a read on someone would play on that read??

I am happy with the way I played the hand as I didn't think calling was an option.

I suppose some opinions on the play would be helpful, but would you do the same thing in the same position with the same read, or would you wait for a better spot?

gavrilo
12-14-2003, 03:29 PM
This hits the muck 100% of the time for me against the player and situation you described.

You are risking your whole stack first and foremost against a "tight" player who has just raised 8xBB with 99.
Raising all-in is not good because..
A) you don't dominate many hands except lower PP's, which your opponent isn't going to call your raise with anyway.
B) If your opponent has AK or a higher PP, it's a coinflip or you are dominated.
I just don't see any value here in the all-in raise.

Al_Capone_Junior
12-14-2003, 04:30 PM
Your play aside, you violated one of the most important rules in tournaments: don't get into a confrontation with a big stack if you don't have to. Had he been the 5th biggest at the table, I MAY have done what you did. But with him being the biggest stack, and bigger than your BIG stack, I would have ditched it.

al

Martin Aigner
12-14-2003, 04:42 PM
Jon,

I would have raised myself in MP being a large stack. If hero comes over the top, I fold.

Best regards

Martin Aigner

Poker Jon
12-14-2003, 05:20 PM
Cheers for your replies guys.

I know my play wasnt great (anything but in fact).

I suppose the point I was trying make was, that I put my opponent on cards and I tried to play with that read/feeling/sheer stupidity.

I felt that if my opponent would have had AK they would have folded, so the only hands I was going to be called with were probably AA, KK or QQ (and I had ruled out AA and KK) and a possible call with JJ, 1010.

I am fine that I played the hand wrong, but I had a feeling. And it was wrong ;-)

Martin Aigner
12-14-2003, 05:46 PM
Jon,

you had a read on your opponent, and you went with it. Donīt bother you beccause of that.

If you can single out AA and KK and think that you opponent folds JJ and TT and AK, that your play was clearly +EV.

Best regards

Martin Aigner