PDA

View Full Version : Pre-flop help follow-up

chucklhead
12-14-2003, 10:29 AM
Howdy,

One poster said "Read Lee Jones book and keep plugging. Don't call as many starting hands as you raise, keeping folding the cheese and you can play at tight tables."

Lee Jones got me where I am today. However, he does not advocate raising pre-flop. Knowing this is a bit over simplified, If I categorize hands as 1) big pairs, big suited cards, and AK. 2) Big unsuited cards and medium pairs. 3) suited connectors and lower pairs. If I raise 90% (call 10%) with the first group regardless of table texture or seat, raise with the second group 90% (call 10%) if I expect to play the hand 3 handed or less. Fold 90% (Raise 10%) with the second group if I expect to play 5 handed or more. Finally, 90% call (raise 10%) with the third group if I expect to play 5 handed or more. Fold 90% (raise 10%) of the third group if I expect to play 3 handed or less.

Knowing that what fits into each category changes depending on the seat and action before me, does this sound semi-reasonable?

I am having trouble playing when I raise preflop and miss the flop. If I raised UTG with KQclubs, and the flop comes 942 with no clubs, should I be check-folding as Jones dictates? I have been using a guideline, if I see the flop 3 handed I should bet out. If I see the flop 5 handed I should check-fold. This gives me some leaway to play by feel when 4 people are in the hand.

I should also say that I am only far enough in to HPFAP to cover the pre-flop chapters. My opinions on this strategy may change the more I read and reread it.

Thanks for any comments,
Chucklehead

ArchAngel71857
12-14-2003, 02:26 PM
Read the flop play in Lee Jones book.

as far as PF raising and missing the flop, usually the PF raiser will bet 95% of the time. If it misses you, you may want to consider betting. if you check it either means it completely missed you, or you flopped a monster.

If you have say AK, and the flop misses you,you may want to fire a bet. if they all call and you odn't improve to the turn, you should check fold.

-AA