PDA

View Full Version : Who checkraises here? (Either spot)

sam h
12-14-2003, 01:19 AM
Party 200. I ($200ish) have Q3h in the $4 BB, two players limp including a big stack in LP who I have no notes on and hasn't gotten involved much since I sat down. SB completes.

Flop is Kh Th 3c. I pot it and the big stack calls.

Turn is 3s. I decide to pot it again.

ALL1N
12-14-2003, 03:05 AM
I wouldn't checkraise, but I definitely wouldn't bet the pot on the turn. Probably about half the pot, so that low flush draws and weak kings call. On a blank river, I'd make a bet of similar size to the turn bet.

crockpot
12-14-2003, 04:38 AM
i'd probably go for a check-raise, or perhaps even check-call to set up a check-raise on the river. you're not really worried about giving a free card unless he has QJ. (if he has Ax of hearts you will lose a ton of money to him either way.) it's much more likely he has a king than QJ. when you check the turn, he will read you for a bricked flush or straight draw, unless he is a very weak player.

i would consider check-raising 'min' on his bet, regardless of its size (unless it is something ridiculous like $4). i've noticed that this play tends to commit an opponent to the pot, since for some reason they assume you have nothing when you raise min (even though this is often a sign that you have a true monster).

1800GAMBLER
12-14-2003, 05:09 AM
I'm wondering why you checkcall since then the turn just gets hard. Plus, you get to checkraise the river when a flush card hits in your games?

I'd usually checkraise this out of position and hope to take it down. That's for an aggressive game though.

crockpot
12-14-2003, 07:02 AM
the setting up a check-raise comment referred to when a blank rivers. you do have a point, though: since many cards can come that kill the action, if not ruin your hand, check-raising now is the superior strategy.