PDA

View Full Version : button play

DaveB
12-13-2003, 08:00 PM
Party 5/10 6 max games - I've noticed that I don't know what to do sometimes with mediocre hands when everyone folds to me on the button. Stuff like J9o, QTo, 78s, etc. I usually just end up folding here because raising will cost me and rarely get everyone to fold but I feel weak just limping. What do you do here?

thanks...

Ikke
12-13-2003, 09:01 PM
I'd raise every hand in your described situation. But I feel comfortable doing so, and that changes a lot. If you're not comfortable with playing mediocre hands shorthanded, you're bound to lose money with them when played. OTOH, you will be giving up opportunities by folding which good players utilize. So maybe you should get experience at a lower level than you're used to play. Get convidence playing postflop with mediocre hands.

Regards

stripsqueez
12-13-2003, 09:33 PM
i would hate to start another argument about the merits of open limping - but - its hard to concieve of a situation where its right to open limp on the button

i would normally fold the 87s, nearly always raise Q10o and sometimes raise J9o - it is tough at party where commonly raising to steal the blinds doesnt achieve that end - i agree with ikke - more to the point if you think you can out play your potential opponents post flop you should raise a lot in such a scenario - if not then you need to be more cautious

stripsqueez - chickenhawk

Ulysses
12-13-2003, 10:41 PM
QTo folded to me on the button, I'm open-raising every time. That's just too much hand not to.

But J9o and 78s are completely situational for me. If I've been raising a lot, I fold them. If I haven't done much for a while, I'll raise. At certain times, I'll raise any two on the button for a while. Then I'll fold a lot of decent hands. It's all about switching it up in these games.

davidross
12-14-2003, 12:49 AM
Until a week ago I would raise or fold all the hands you mentioned. Probably raising QT and folding the others. I have however started limping with more hands, including big pairs (which I will re-raise if the blinds get aggresive). It's still too early to say what teh result of this is, but I've found my opponents to be very suspicious of my limps from the button and quite often a flop bet takes the pot uncontested.

I think you will develop a feel for the table and have to make corresponding decisions. WIth really aggressive blinds I don't like raising 87s, not a great hand to play heads up. But I will raise A2o every time against a guy who will 3 bet anything. Just remember that your position is a huge advantage over time in these situations. Play almost everything against timid opposition and be more selective, but aggressive against too loose opposition.

You are playing a very narrow edge in these situations. You are going to lose just about as often as you win. make sure to get some value from your wins.

DaveB
12-14-2003, 03:39 AM
Wow thanks all... this is exactly the kind of stuff I was looking for. You are right Ikke - I need to get more comfortable at this. I definitely like pots with at least two other people better than heads up but it's something I'm starting to work on. I've been doing fairly well in these games but always room for improvement... maybe i'll sit in some 1/2 games and just raise everything from the button for practice /images/graemlins/smile.gif

dave

all_aces
12-14-2003, 04:00 AM
Hey Dave,

I really don't have anything new to add, everyone's covered it pretty well I think.

I'd open-raise all these hands from the button, but I play 5-handed. And the people I play with would get freaked out if I limped in this situation.

I would like to emphasize Ulysses' point though... it is also important to consider what you've been doing at the table recently. Have you been getting great hands 4 or 5 times in a row and raising them? If so, it's probably best to muck this hand and wait for a less suspicious time to raise J9o.

Regards,
all_aces