PDA

View Full Version : Next time around in the SB. I pick up JJ.

ajizzle
12-13-2003, 06:48 PM
JJ in SB, NL 1/2 blinds. MP raises to $8 following three limpers. One caller to me, and I decide to just call, remembering the last time in the SB, when I had QQ, and AA moved all-in behing my big raise. A total of 5 to the flop for $8 each.

Flop comes Q J 3. Two diamonds. I decide to check my Trips, knowing that I don't want to chase out the PF raiser, but also knowing that no one is going to bet a draw. PF raiser bets out $16, Button folds, and I push all-in for $45. BB calls $35 (he is all-in), and PF raiser calls. MP calls, and there are two people all-in and I have the second nuts.

Long story short, River comes a diamond, and the Jackass in the BB called an all-in bet with A2 of diamonds. I understand that He had the nut flush draw, but he was getting at best 3/1 to make his flush.

I don't usually get flustered at the poker table, but then again, I usually don't play No-Limit. If someone chases a draw without the right odds at the limit tables, I can understand that, but when someone moves all-in on a draw, one that might not even hold up mind you, I get really mad. I cussed at him a few times before realizing that I was making an ass of myself. Then I left and realized that I haven't had a winning day all week.

Ajizzle

sam h
12-13-2003, 08:06 PM
Well, the BB is calling 35 for a shot at a main pot of either 91 if PFR folds or 110 if PFR calls (or more if any of the limpers call). He doesn't know you have a set and in some situations an ace might be good here for him. So why is this a bad call again?

Don't berate other people at the table, especially when you're in the wrong. Calling all-in on a draw is often right in NL when the stacks are small. The real fishy move in this hand was the BB's preflop call. To be honest, I don't like your preflop call much either.

1800GAMBLER
12-14-2003, 05:24 AM
This call was fine.

I'd reraise preflop mostly in the SB at prima, 90% of the time in position, but i can see that causing a lot of arguements.

Al_Capone_Junior
12-15-2003, 11:18 AM
If he was getting 3:1 to make a flush with two cards to come, then he had odds to call. Of course you could have made a boat, so that evens it out a little, but his decision was borderline at worst, but profitable most likely (not sure what everyone else had).

You played it fine.

al

wontons
12-15-2003, 11:31 AM
to the last poster, you dont like is preflop call because he didn't reraise or what exactly ? you didn't say why you didn't like it...me personally..I don't like seeing the flop with more than 3 people in it if I have a premium pair...but once in a while you have to change things up.

tewall
12-15-2003, 11:38 AM
That's a good call. He's more like 2-1 for the flush than 3-1 because he has two chances to hit it. Given the dead money already in the pot, it's an easy call.

sam h
12-15-2003, 02:53 PM
well obviously i'm not advocating folding.

the preflop call is for 15% of his stack and puts him in prime position to be pushed off the best hand on a whole lot of flops or to be beaten by some limper with Q8s when a Q hits. he should push in here. he probably has the best hand anyway. a coin toss against ak is very positive ev with his slight edge and plenty of dead money. and if his opponent has an overpair, he will lose his small stack anyway on many flops when he just calls before the flop. if you're going to opt for a short stack, then play it like a short stack not like a big stack.