PDA

View Full Version : How could I have played this differently?

Warik
12-13-2003, 02:41 PM
Party Poker 0.50/1 (10 handed) VERY loose table. I won a $31 hand here with the nuts earlier.

SB has been losing ever since I sat down and has been seeing every flop.

Hero has J/images/graemlins/spade.gif, T/images/graemlins/spade.gif and is UTG

Hero raises, MP3 calls, CO calls, Button folds, SB calls, BB folds

Flop(10 SB): Q/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, A/images/graemlins/spade.gif, K/images/graemlins/diamond.gif

At this point I know this table is so loose that they'll call me to the river, so I open the bet.

SB checks, Hero bets, MP3 folds, CO calls, SB raises, Hero 3-bets, CO calls, SB caps, Hero calls, CO calls

Turn(16 BB): 9/images/graemlins/club.gif

SB bets, Hero raises, CO folds, SB 3-bets, Hero caps, SB calls

River(24 BB): J/images/graemlins/diamond.gif

SB bets, Hero raises, SB 3-bets, Hero caps, SB calls

I feared the flush when that diamond came out, but I couldn't fold the 2nd nuts. Maybe I shouldn't have capped the river?

SB flips 5/images/graemlins/diamond.gif,9/images/graemlins/diamond.gif for the chase of a lifetime and the win.

TheRake
12-13-2003, 03:19 PM
Warik,
Why would you raise with this hand UTG /images/graemlins/confused.gif

I think it is okay to call with, But I really question the raise.

You got an awesome flop and played fine until the river, but then I am confused again when you cap. Did you not consider the flush? You are bordering on maniac and need to learn to take your foot off the gas when your are beat.

TheRake

ramjam
12-13-2003, 03:31 PM
The raise pre-flop is silly.

Betting and raising at every opportunity is good until flush comes or board pairs.

</font><blockquote><font class="small">En réponse à:</font><hr />
I feared the flush when that diamond came out, but I couldn't fold the 2nd nuts. Maybe I shouldn't have capped the river?

[/ QUOTE ]

You don't have the second nuts - you have the 46th nuts behind every possible flush combination. There's a big difference between not folding and capping. Just call it down. Your opponent will nearly always have the same hand as you or a flush.

TazQ
12-13-2003, 03:36 PM
Bad preflop raise, very bad cap on the river.

Chase of a lifetime? It's a 2-1 shot by the river. Just call the river.

ArchAngel71857
12-13-2003, 04:51 PM
I wouldn't raise UTG with this unless you can reasonably expect 8 or 9 cold calls. If you move to UTG +2 it is much better because you can at least expect two limpers in front of you. I know HPFAP says you can do this if the table is loose, but the reason is that everyone will cold call anyway, so it doesn't matter. I don't think its a vital mistake as long as you do it only to mix up play.

I wouldn't cap the river. You charged him all the way thourhg and got your money in when you were ahead.

-AA

DeuceKicker
12-13-2003, 05:21 PM
No raise preflop. I would have slowed down after the flop just because I'd be sure we were splitting the pot, and ther's no need to increase the rake.

After he check-raised(!) and capped the flop and 3 bet the turn I would be amazed to see him show anything but JT. Even the flush draw he had was only mediocre, but as you found out, it happens. Put him on your buddy list.

Eihli
12-13-2003, 05:35 PM
1. [ QUOTE ]
SB has been losing ever since I sat down...

[/ QUOTE ]

Who cares? This has nothing to do with anything.

2. [ QUOTE ]
...and has been seeing every flop.

[/ QUOTE ]

That is the information that matters.

And just like I told you in your ATo thread, I think you are overcorrecting your previously passive play. It's good to be aggressive, but not on every hand you play. Being aggressive doesn't make you invincible. You need to choose your fights.

Nottom
12-13-2003, 05:58 PM
Why are you raising JTs UTG? Its a decent hand, but wants a nice multiway pot.

Flop and turn are good. On the river it's hard to put SB on a flush draw although A9 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif could certainly be played that way. The first raise is questionable, the cap is definately a mistake.

Warik
12-13-2003, 06:23 PM
Ok it seems to be agreed that my preflop raise was a mistake, which I now agree with. I'm still learning which cards need to be raised preflop and how I need to react to reraises based on position. Any links on the subject matter would be greatly appreciated.

My capping the river was because I thought he was playing pocket kings, queens, or aces based on how he behaved on the flop and turn. I didn't think anybody would go THAT crazy on a flush draw. Another big mistake by me I agree. I'm better off calling and taking what I've got if I win or losing much less if I lose.

I did leave the table happy with twice my stake in an hour and a half though. Think I'll be able to move to $1/$2 in a few weeks.

Thanks again for the comments. /images/graemlins/smile.gif