PDA

View Full Version : Save 1 bb?

Baltimore Ron
12-13-2003, 11:03 AM
The Scene: Party Poker 10-20, somewhat loose and not too aggressive. I'm playing two tables - up one one, but down on this particular table.

I get dealt AA in the big blind. Yippee!

The utg and the button limped before the sb raised and I promptly reraised. Everyone called.

The sb bet out on the flop of Qxx rainbow and the other two dropped when I raised. The sb called.

The turn was a J and the sb bet out again. I did one of those half-second huddles and raised again, planning to fold if three-bet and planning to check behind on the river if I didn't improve.

The river was a K and the sb checked. As so often happens when playing two-table ping pong, my finger had a mind of its own and clicked the "Bet" button. The sb called and showed JJ. Doh! Wasted river bet!

BR

Huh
12-13-2003, 11:38 AM
You're opponent played the hand horribly, imho. I also don't think you can lay this hand down to a three-bet on the turn.

-Huh

daryn
12-13-2003, 01:25 PM
if you plan to fold to a 3 bet on the turn, you need to evaluate your play. he could make that 3 bet with a lot of hands, something like AQ.. on the river, you have to bet i think.. well i guess you don't have to but i think betting will win that 1 extra bet more than it will lost that 1 extra bet.

Baltimore Ron
12-15-2003, 12:09 PM
Daryn and Huh are correct. I should not have contemplated folding to a three bet on the turn. The bet on the turn after being raised on the flop smells like either a classic stop-and-go with AQ or an improvement on the turn.

I wouldn't expect a three-bet with just AQ after all the heat I've given him. I've already shouted from the mountain top that I can beat, or at least tie, top-top. So a three bet from him here means flopped set, two pairs or set of Jacks. I certainly should call any three-bet taking into account the small possibility of AQ or QJ.

Thanks for helping me re-evaluate what could have been a mistake in the heat of battle. :-)

And, he did play this like a wuss. He typed in "You should have know I could beat Aces. I was worried you had QQ." LOL! I, of course, did not respond.

BR

chesspain
12-15-2003, 12:35 PM
This reminded me of a Party 1/2 game last week. I'm in UTG+1 with KQo. UTG openlimps, I raise, there were 2 or 3 coldcallers, and UTG calls. The flop was uncoordinated rags, so I bet, everyone called. The turn and river were also raggedy undercards, so I just checked, and it got checked around both times! UTG showed QQ (!?) to take the pot without ever making a bet from the flop forward!

Afterwards, I could not contain myself, and typed "hhhmmm!?!?" A few minutes later UTG responded "I thought you had QQ or AA"

LOL

Inthacup
12-15-2003, 01:12 PM
I did one of those half-second huddles and raised again, planning to fold if three-bet

I like the raise but hate the mentality of folding to a 3-bet. He could easily have KK, AQ or QJ here that he could 3-bet with. If he had either QQ or JJ, he should definitely be check-raising the turn.

Your opponent played this hand incredibly poorly on the turn and river. Consider yourself lucky. He saved you some money.

Cup