PDA

View Full Version : AKo - Did I misplay and lose money?

blubster
12-13-2003, 10:34 AM
I am in a tight game at Party

I get AKo in early position

I limp only becuase if I raise more then likely everyone will fold. It's a pretty tight game.

Only the 2 blinds see the flop.

Flop comes A 9 4 or something like that

First player bets. The other player calls, and I just call looking to raise on turn.

Turn comes: K

I know have top 2 pair.

First player bets, second player calls again, and this time I raise.

Both players fold.

Did I play this wrong? Should I have just kept calling and more then likely keep both of them in the pot til the end or is the riase correct?

Also, what if on turn K didn't come and I only had pair of A's with K kicker, might it still be better to just keep calling with top pair and 2 people in to try to get those 2 extra bets on the river and maybe even more if I raise the river?

Thanks
blubster

astroglide
12-13-2003, 02:57 PM
party has about 46237864387678462378678423 tables for every limit. if your table is tight, leave.

Kenshin
12-14-2003, 02:08 AM
I believe you misplayed your hand; however, in this instance, your error increased your short term profit.

First error: Limping with AKo. This hand generally lacks sufficient strength to win without improvement against multiple callers. Thus, I would rather steal the blinds with AKo than face opponents.

Additionally, I would have raised on the flop. Why give the villians the opportunity to draw out on you

blubster
12-14-2003, 02:52 AM
My thinking was if I raise I will win $7 by stealing the blinds, if I call I can probably get 1 or 2 players in and if I hit count on at least one of them going to the river with me thus making more money.

Well they didn't go to the river cuase I raised the turn and they both hfolded but I did win $80 instead of $7

blubster

astroglide
12-14-2003, 03:40 AM
the results don't change the fact that you'll make more money at one of the other many loose party tables

Schneids
12-14-2003, 04:58 AM
[ QUOTE ]
but I did win $80 instead of $7

[/ QUOTE ]
Without sounding like an ass, and without wanting to think about this for more than two seconds, the pot had to have been somewhere around $70, and you'd have won around $40

I'd rather raise. All it takes is one player to want to play, and you're probably going to earn $40 off the hand. And you're less likely to go the other way and lose $40.

Dangeresque
12-14-2003, 05:42 AM
I'd probably still raise upfront knowing that I can bet out the other player from the flop on. Given the tightness of this table, and your reported lack of anything to worry about with this board, I'd let it go one more time before raising the river. Now if I had a 2 suit or 2 straight and a check caller, I'd be more likely to raise for value. I think the raise is both late and premature. Preflop and River here.

blubster
12-14-2003, 10:44 AM
well if i raised there would've probably been no other player, just me stealing the blinds. but thanks, yes i guess i should've just called and raised the river

and no there hardly is no loose tables at my limit. occasionally i find one but i often play late at night and the tables on party for my limit are tight almost always. with often only 1 or 2 people seeing flop. so these damn posts that say find another table annoy the hell out of me.
there is no other tables I can go to

blubster

Ed Miller
12-14-2003, 11:50 AM
I limp only becuase if I raise more then likely everyone will fold.

I can't think of a better reason to raise. If everyone folded every time I raised AKo, I'd be a rich man.

astroglide
12-14-2003, 04:19 PM
mid and high stakes on party are 10/20 6max, 15/30, and 30/60. there is ALWAYS a loose 10 or 15 game, and the 30 games are often good (but not worth the wait especially considering the fact that you can play multiple 15/30 tables).

you posted this in the mid and high forum. what mid-high party game has games that are never loose? looking for the exact limit, the exact day, and the exact hour.

DanZ
12-14-2003, 05:24 PM
It is ok to limp with this hand once in a while. You do want to win the blinds, but you must also throw off your opponents sometimes.

Yes, if you only had 1 pair, you should raise the turn. With 2 pair, you can wait again if you can be fairly sure no one is drawing (and, if they are drawing, there will be no river bluff from them).

I would also consider raising the flop. The turn raise looks a lot like a set.

Dan Z.

blubster
12-14-2003, 05:41 PM
hey bunghole, if i say sometimes theres no loose games theres no loose games ok. i play 10-20 and sometimes there is hardly any 10-20 games going in the wee hours, and if there are they are often tight. so theres your answer, to waste more time jerk

blubster

astroglide
12-14-2003, 05:49 PM
please accept my humblest apologies. next time i'll suggest you sit at the worst tables imaginable, because that's apparently what you'd like to hear.

you have virtually infinite game selection across sites and levels. i find it pointless to debate the merits of specific hands being played in sub-optimal conditions when much better ones are literally a couple mouse clicks away (on the same site in the case of party & affiliates).

blubster
12-15-2003, 06:28 AM
i find your useless replies meaning less. if you dont know what your talking about you shouldnt post and waste everyones time.

blubster

RollaJ
12-16-2003, 01:05 PM
Astroglide please stop waisting our time pointing out the obvious /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

RollaJ
12-16-2003, 01:07 PM
[ QUOTE ]
with often only 1 or 2 people seeing flop

[/ QUOTE ]
Ive never been in a situation where only one person saw the flop

nykenny
12-16-2003, 01:15 PM
[ QUOTE ]
party has about 46237864387678462378678423 tables for every limit. if your table is tight, leave.

[/ QUOTE ]
hahaha /images/graemlins/laugh.gif

nykenny
12-16-2003, 01:21 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
with often only 1 or 2 people seeing flop

[/ QUOTE ]
Ive never been in a situation where only one person saw the flop

[/ QUOTE ]
Actually, it happens all the time, in the clubs I play in in Queens. Sometimes there are two people with cards on the river, but the flop is gone before show-down. Other times, my mucked-cards would show up on river...

so the dealer "mucks" the board sometimes... /images/graemlins/grin.gif

Kenny

elysium
12-16-2003, 02:08 PM
hi blubster
no matter how tight the game is, your opponents should be calling your raise-in. you need to take control of the table blub.