PDA

View Full Version : Some odds questions

03-22-2002, 12:32 PM
Looking for some standard odds, feel free to contribute. What are odds against:

- flopping a 4-flush draw when holding 2 suited cards

- making a 4-flush draw by the turn when holding 2 suited cards (combined odds of flopping 2 of the suit or flopping one and turning another)

- making a flush by the river when you hold 2 suited cards (total odds including all ways to get there from flopping it to making a runner-runner draw)

- flopping an open-ended 4-straight when you hold connectors

- flopping an open-ended 4-straight when you hold a one-gap

- making an open-ended 4-straight by the turn when you hold connectors

- making an open-ended 4-straight by the turn when you hold a one-gap

- making a straight by the river when you hold connectors

- flopping a set when you hold pocket pair

- making a set by the turn when you hold pocket pair

- making a set by the river when you hold pocket pair

- making top full by the turn when you hold pocket pair

- making any full by turn when you hold pocket pair

- making top full by river when you hold pocket pair

- making any full by river when you hold pocket pair

- when there are 3 suited cards on the board at the river, odds that any given player has a flush

- when there are 4 suited cards on the board at the river, odds that any given player has a flush

- when the board is paired, odds that someone has a boat at the turn

- when the board is paired, odds that someone has a boat at the river

...and any other odds you may care to include, thanks.

03-22-2002, 02:05 PM
Mike Caro has a lot of these things and more on his web site.

03-22-2002, 06:48 PM
I suggest better than memorizing these odds you learn a little probability theory and start calculating the odds.

03-23-2002, 05:50 AM
I got the highest grade in a class of over 100 at UT Austin in the probability section of Statistics, but I'm a little rusty these days. Was just hoping that someone knew/had these handy and could share. Easier to memorize ten or so numbers than calculate on the spot each time when I'm trying to keep a loose table in their same carefree mood. I don't suppose you re-invent the wheel each and every time when trying to figure out starting hands, so why not memorize some odds?

Sorry I asked; maybe I should just bring an abacus to the table next time I play... /images/smile.gif

03-23-2002, 06:28 AM
Your post got me to look at Mike Petriv's Odds Book. I bought it a month ago and flipped through it, but I have not really studied it yet.

I think the answers to many of your questions can be found there. Here's one I came across: For connectors, you will flop a str8 or 8 out str8 draw 11.8% of the time. A gutshot draw is flopped 21.6%.

Pocket Pairs: A set or better (FH or Quad) is 7.5:1. If you take your pocket pair to the river, you will get your set at a 4.2:1 clip.

I think you already know that if you do not flop a set, you are 22.5:1 with one to come to improve on your pocket pair. This is the odds for a 2 outer with 47 unknown.

Jonathan

03-23-2002, 09:51 AM
If memory serves me....

Making a flush or straight with two in your hand - 5:1

Making a fh when you hold a pair - 12:1

Baby flush or straight getting popped - 3:2

Me making any hand - 5:1

Me getting beat when I make my hand - 2:1

Now except for those last two, they are probably wrong....

Mike