PDA

View Full Version : JJ in the BB

WillMagic
12-12-2003, 11:50 PM
Party 3/6. Loose/passive. 9 handed.

Our hero is dealt J /images/graemlins/club.gif J /images/graemlins/heart.gif in the BB.

UTG, UTG+1 fold, UTG+2 limps, folded to button who limps, SB completes, I raise, all call.

Flop: A /images/graemlins/heart.gif 3 /images/graemlins/club.gif Q /images/graemlins/club.gif

SB checks, I bet, UTG+2 calls, button folds, SB folds.

Turn: 7 /images/graemlins/spade.gif

I bet, UTG+2 calls.

River: K /images/graemlins/heart.gif

I check, he bets, I fold.

This hand is ripe for comments I am sure, so fire away.

DarkKnight
12-13-2003, 12:24 AM
I don't really like the raise here except as a change of
pace.

FLOP: 2 overcards to your pair and a flush draw. I'm not real happy with my prospects. I think I check fold here
most of the time.

TURN: Once your called on the flop you're gonna be beat
more often than not. I check fold.

WillMagic
12-13-2003, 01:08 AM
I'm surprised, I would think raising with JJ against two limpers and the Sb would be a strong play. I think I'm a pretty heavy favorite here.

But, assuming I just check, I agree with you that it's a pretty easy check/fold on the flop. But after raising from the BB wouldn't you at least take a stab?

I guess the turn bet is suspect. But I've seen people call me down with hands like KJ, KT and JT here, going for the gutshot, and who might fold on the turn. I also might get something like a crappy queen to fold on the turn.

When the river came K, i couldn't put him on a hand that was worse than mine, and thought there was no way he would fold anything after calling my bet on the turn. So I check/folded.

Is my thinking too aggressive here?

Will

Bob T.
12-13-2003, 07:47 AM
Raising preflop is fine, (Anyone who disagrees, has to at least admit it is one option on how to play the hand) and you probably can take one last stab at the pot with a flop bet, but you got a terrible flop for your hand, and you probably are going to have to find a place to fold. I think your flop bet should probably be the last money you put into this pot, unless you really like the turn card.

jerrybai125
12-13-2003, 09:10 AM
call the river, he could have missed his draw, which he seems to have with a call and another call. good raise preflop, betting the flop is an okay play, i think to bet the turn as u did, you must know the player, and since u did it i think you have to call the river when u check to him

Elizabeth
12-13-2003, 01:55 PM
The fact that these loose players will call with as little as KT, KJ, which you can beat, is NOT a reason to bet out. You're still probably behind, but now you have no chance of winning the pot right now if you're ahead.

If you're ahead, it costs you 2.5BB to find out. Instead of risking 1 SB to win 8 SB on the flop, you end up having to risk 2.5BB to win 6.5BB to see the river. Your hand got worse because of the callers because you can no longer fold on the flop knowing that you're beat.

Nottom
12-13-2003, 02:34 PM
Preflop: I think this is an easy raise preflop. I'm not even sure its close considering the positions of the players involved. If there were more limpers it starts getting a little more complicated, but I think you still raise.

This was a hot topic on these forums a while back and I'm sure you can find some heated discussions on the subject if you really want.

Flop: I don't think a bet is great here, but its worth a shot at least some of the time.

Turn: You should be done with the hand at this point.

AceHigh
12-13-2003, 07:29 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Party 3/6. Loose/passive.

[/ QUOTE ]

Check the flop, loose/passive players don't fold hands that beat you, and you might be able to get away from the hand on the flop, depending on the action.