PDA

View Full Version : Another KK OIC hand

Sheriff Fatman
12-12-2003, 10:08 PM
Just played this hand as I was typing out the previous KK post.

TGC again, 1/2 10-handed table.

Dealt K /images/graemlins/heart.gifK /images/graemlins/spade.gif UTG

I open raise, next player cold calls, two new players to the table fold their blind bets, SB & BB complete.

4 see the flop of J /images/graemlins/heart.gifA /images/graemlins/spade.gif6 /images/graemlins/spade.gif

BB bets, I raise (trying to represent AA or AK and get players out/slow them down), SB cold calls, BB calls.

Turn 9 /images/graemlins/club.gif

Checked to me, I bet, both call.

River 7 /images/graemlins/club.gif

Checked to me, I check down.

Thoughts on the play appreciated. Results will follow.

Sheriff Fatman
12-12-2003, 10:20 PM
SB showed 6 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif6 /images/graemlins/heart.gif to win the pot. BB mucked.

Very surprised to see SB's hand. Figured I might have been reraised at some point or bet into on the river.

Found it an interesting hand - probably 3rd best in the end but didn't expect to lose to the hand I did.

crockpot
12-12-2003, 10:26 PM
every time i see players raise the flop in this situation "to represent a big hand", it saddens me to see how little attention they're paying to their opponents' play. if someone called two bets preflop with his ace, he is not going anywhere now unless running spades hit the board, or perhaps the turn and river put four parts to a broadway straight on board, both cases where you want him in. if you didn't know how to play, would you call two bets preflop with an ace if you just intended to fold when you flop top pair?

if you are raising because you think you have the best hand here, fine. but don't raise "to represent a big hand".

did you play the hand optimally? maybe. calling, folding and raising are all reasonable options on the flop, depending on what you think of the BB's bet. obviously if you think the big blind has to have aces or better, you fold, although it is a close decision because your backdoor flush draw adds about two outs. still, there is a good possibility of a raise behind you. calling the big blind's bet is not that bad if he is aggeressive, since you are not that vulnerable to free cards if you are ahead now. if you think the big blind will keep betting but flat call a raise, the cheapest way to get to a showdown is to raise now and check either the turn or river.

Gomez22
12-12-2003, 10:31 PM
[ QUOTE ]
BB bets, I raise (trying to represent AA or AK and get players out/slow them down), SB cold calls, BB calls.

[/ QUOTE ]

LMAO!!!! Not at you, Sherriff, but at the thought process regarding players there. I haven't found ANY players at TGC willing to fold to a raise with TP.... no matter their kicker..... You been seeing the same thing?

Anyways, I woulda raised the flop, too(I take it the next player that cold-called the PF raise folded to your flop raise here?). Then, after getting 2 callers, you HAVE to think that someone has the ace. I would tend to think that at least 1 of them is on a flush draw, other has an ace or maybe a KJ or some J with a decent kicker. I think the check-through of the river is a good play here, and you probably lost to AXo (X=8 or less) from one of them.

Sheriff Fatman
12-12-2003, 10:42 PM
[ QUOTE ]
if you are raising because you think you have the best hand here, fine. but don't raise "to represent a big hand

[/ QUOTE ]

To be honest Crockpot I'm not quite sure where I am after the BB's post-flop bet. Prior to this hand I've seen several occasions where he's bet into my pre-flop raises and come off second best. I'm still therefore thinking that there's a chance I'm ahead and am viewing it as a raise/fold type scenario - if calling I'm expecting to be bet into on the turn.

The subsequent turn bet was in the distant hope that one or both would fold to continued aggression. In addition I figure that if I check here I'm going to see a 'tester bet' at some stage so it will cost me the same to bet out and keep the initiative.

Sheriff Fatman
12-12-2003, 10:47 PM
Yes, you're right Gomez. UTG+1 folded on the flop. Sorry for missing it out (I blame these bloody TGC history prints /images/graemlins/wink.gif)