PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone make this laydown?

ajizzle
12-12-2003, 06:48 PM
TT on the button. 3/6 at TGC. No limpers, MP raises, LP cold-calls. Does anyone make this laydown???

I decide to raise, BB calls two more, and MP raiser caps.
Once again, does anyone make this laydown???

I think about the second laydown, because I am 90% positive that I'm up against an over-pair (it was a very tight table), but I decide to call, realizing that I am getting more than proper odds to go for a set.

The more intruiging question is the first laydown. If I were playing a VERY tough table, I probably would have mucked without a second thought, but it was weak/tight. Secondly, though I highly suspected that I was behind already, in a situation like that, I go against my read, and play the odds instead.

Anyway, the flop came K 3 2, all spades (i didn;t have one), so I folded when the capper bet out. He showed down QQ.

scotnt73
12-12-2003, 06:57 PM
if its 2 know really good opponents id have no problem laying it down in this situation but they both have to be really thought of as rocks by me.

LetsRock
12-12-2003, 07:39 PM
It really depends on my read of the raiser. Unless he's a known rock, I'll call (not re-raise) expecting to lay it down on the flop without help. I probably wouldn't even re-raise a maniac with TT - even they get legit cards once in a while.

What would you expect him to raise with that a TT would dominate? Is it worth 2 SB to chase the BB out? (LP was clearly going no-where)

I'm also kind of thinking that you had better odds to see the turn (17+:1) than you did to call the pf action (4:1) and given that everyone calls the turn (no raises) you're getting 11+:1 to see the river (admitedly, these odds are pretty slim for a 2 outer). It seems that laying down when you did was the worst time to do so.?

Gotmilk
12-12-2003, 09:32 PM
LetsRock: Its a clear fold on the flop. The flop came all suited in spades and he didn't have the ten of spades which he means he can neither make a flush nor catch the ten of spades and have it be any good. He is drawing to one out (at best) or a runner runner full house.

ajizzle
12-12-2003, 09:42 PM
Two thing

I think you miss read my post, or didn't take into account a few pieces of information.

1) The cold-calling two bets PF is probably the worst move at in that position. EP could VERY easily be raising with any pocket pair. If he's got a better pocket pair, then I will hopefully find out when he caps. If he has two high cards, then he is less likely to stay in with JUST overcards on the flop, because I have shown strength PF. Assuming he has two overcards, some may say that I am giving him more pot odds by raising PF, but from his point of view, I could just as easily be holding AA or KK, in which case his two high cards are in A LOT of trouble.

2) The fold on the flop is the EASIEST laydown I've made in a while. A King beats me. An overpair beats me. Trip two's, trip threes, and a flush all beat me. Besides, my outs a few (1). If the T of spades comes, then I have a cock in my crack. The odds that you calculated in your post are way off.

Ajizzle

GuyOnTilt
12-12-2003, 09:55 PM
I disagree with everybody else. Unless I have the raiser pegged as loose/aggressive, and the cold-caller pegged as someone who didn't need two overcards to my pair to cold-call, I'm mucking. Against unknowns or anything other than the above, I think you should fold preflop.

You'd be nuts to fold to the cap after you 3-bet. You're getting 15:1 on your call. You have more than enough odds to call hoping to spike a set, even if you plan on laying down an overpair.

GoT

MrDannimal
12-12-2003, 11:22 PM
I agree with Guy. If you don't have a read on either guy, it's free to watch the hand and see if you can get one (in this case, you did. Or at least a start on one). It costs you 3 (possibly 4) SBs to play it the way you did. I would have called before I raised, simply because if I AM facing an overpair I don't want to see it come back to me capped. Then it only costs me 2 SBs if I miss.