PDA

View Full Version : For the Big Sky Set -

Zeno
12-12-2003, 05:48 PM
[ QUOTE ]
In Montana, Velveeta cheese is in the gourment section of the supermarket.
- Stuey Stone

[/ QUOTE ]

Ed I
12-12-2003, 07:32 PM
Makes great trout bait also, especially if you put a few salmon eggs on your treble hook before you mold on cheese. Trick is keeping the cheese at the right temperature.

Its not as backward here as you think, just a few months ago they opened an all you can eat sushi buffet, hee haw!

How did your brother like the fishing on the Missouri?

Zeno
12-13-2003, 01:42 AM
As a strange coincidence, I just got off the phone with my Brother. We didn't talk fishing however, more family and Christmas stuff. But I do know he likes the area around Big Sandy and he is doing fine and he did do some fishing on the Missouri this year, they are still adjusting but feel more at home now, they moved to Big Sandy in late March.

He went hunting this fall and got a white tail buck and is starting to do some bird hunting, grouse mostly. His boys are in Boy Scouts and sports at school and the girls are horseback riding and in 4-H etc. And they have made good friends with some of the farmers and ranchers in the area. All seem to be doing well. His girls are a little older and had some trouble adjusting to the new surroundings but are more comfortable now. The people are genuinely friendly and very community orientated. We will catch up on fishing stories at Christmas time. Also there is going to be some big celebrations in the area in summer 2005 to commemorate the Lewis and Clark expedition Bicentennial. I hope I can make it up for that at least.

-Zeno

Ray Zee
12-13-2003, 02:40 AM
that stuff isnt cheese.

and dont get ed i all worked up. this guy works in a place where over 50% of the employees go crazy and shoot someone sometime.

whiskeytown
12-13-2003, 10:02 AM
growing up in Big Sky country, I had no idea what you meant...then I moved next door to cheesehead, WI -

now I know cheese...

we have a gourmet section in supermarkets? - You want Gourmet, go to Whitefish...friggen yuppieville up there...

RB

Ed I
12-13-2003, 11:17 AM
It is a big change, sounds like they are doing well.

A couple of book recommendations, "Seasons of the Trout" Neale Streaks. A local guide of many years, he covers the seasons, bugs , pattern choices and techniques. Speeds up the learning curve and a good read. The other is a new book," Fly Fishing Montana's Missouri River" by Trapper Badovinac.

The Missouri can provide some wonderful fishing in the winter with the added bonus of relative solitude. A good place to chase smutting trout. On many winter days the temps will reach the high 30s and 40s.