PDA

View Full Version : 100/200 hand

Paluka
12-12-2003, 04:16 PM
3 handed 100/200 game, sb is aggro, bb seems reasonable maybe on the tight side. I raise on the button (also UTG conveniently) with Ac4c, sb calls, bb now 3 bets, we both call. Flop is QdQs4d. sb checks, bb bets. How do I play the rest of this hand?

elysium
12-12-2003, 04:24 PM
hi pal
the main problem is that you are the button, UTG, and middle position. raise. you must get the SB to fold. once heads up, you'll have a better handle on it.

mike l.
12-12-2003, 05:19 PM
call the flop and raise the turn.

Inthacup
12-12-2003, 06:22 PM
3 ways:

1. Fold.*

2. Call.**

3. Raise.***

*Unless he's holding 22 or 33, the best scenario is a hand like AK where he's only got 5 outs on you. However, with a hand like AK, he's not going to fold to your flop raise and probably won't fold to your turn bet. He could also have any mid-high pair and would play it the same way. I doubt he thinks you have a high pocket pair because you didn't cap preflop.

** Calling has some merit. Especially calling with the intention of raising the turn. I doubt you're going to get the SB out on the flop with a flop raise. You certainly aren't representing a Q with a flop raise. Raising the turn will probably get SB out unless he's holding a Q. Waiting till the turn to raise also looks like you're trying to maximize your profits, which should scare them as well.

*** Raise. This is sort of mentioned already, but raising is not going to do much for you here. In my experience, no one believes the flop raise when there's a pair on the board. If you're going to make a move with this hand, I think it should be on the turn, not the flop.

I feel the decision is either between folding and calling, with the intention of raising the turn. Depending largely on how I feel right now, I'd probably call/raise the turn here. Feel free to blast me. Like my sig says, I don't post because I think I'm right. If I'm wrong, I want to know about it.

Cup

nykenny
12-12-2003, 06:30 PM
I would call the flop. (raising here is too obvious and will get 3 betted too much, unless u want to fold to a 3 bet.)

if SB folds on flop, i will pop the turn to represent a Q. here, i most likely will fold to a 3 bet.

if BB calls on turn, and river is not A, i might just check behind.

Kenny

Al_Capone_Junior
12-12-2003, 06:35 PM
And I thinketh you art be-screwed-eth. I'd give up. You're either slightly ahead or way behind. If the sb has AdKd you are a dog to be ahead by the river. If he has a queen you're sunk, short of two running aces. If he has AK you're ahead, but he has outs, three kings and two aces. If he has just two diamonds you're ahead, but not by that much. Even if he has something like 88 you're still behind.

Notice none of this even considers the third player in the hand.

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmm... Zelda at the psychic hotline says fold.

al

AJo Go All In
12-12-2003, 07:47 PM
is this a joke? you do realize it's a 3-handed game, right?

i would fold here 0% of the time.

daryn
12-12-2003, 09:19 PM
i don't like this analysis at all .. /images/graemlins/shocked.gif

anatta
12-13-2003, 04:07 AM
The choice is between calling the flop and raising the turn or simply raising the flop. The main thing to consider is will the SB fold to a flop raise. I don't think aggro SB has an Ace or a pair (no 3 bet preflop), so will he fold KX or two undercards?

If you do raise the turn and get three bet by tight SB, fold.

Al_Capone_Junior
12-13-2003, 11:01 AM

Ikke
12-13-2003, 11:42 AM
Default would be to call the flop and raise the turn.

Raising the flop would often be a mistake IMO. BB is likely to have a strong hand (3-betting of the (tight) BB after a raise and coldcall does often mean something), either two big cards or medium to high pocket pairs. When you raise the flop, he wouldnt figure you for a Q IMO, you would more likely have a hand that needs protection. So, you'll get 3-bet by a lot of hands, including medium pairs and maybe even AK if the raise gets you HU with BB. Also, on the flop it often doesnt matter too much to SB if it's one or two SB to him, because after this action on a dangerous board with an overcall from the button he'll not likely chase with no-paired hands (with at least one card likely to be less than a Q). Since aggro SB didnt pop you back preflop, I think it's save to assume you will get rid of him the majority of the times regardless whether you raise the flop or just call.

Advantage of just calling combined with raising the turn is huge IMO. If BB 3-bets the turn it's an easy fold IMO, because he should be fearing the Q. If he just calls he's very likely to check the river, which saves you 1BB against medium PP (because if you raised the flop, it would likely have gone 3-bet, bet, bet (I don't think you can fold savely here; because of the present flushdraw he might put pressure on you with a big ace)). Also, on the turn, he might fold a 6 outer against a raise (which is good).

I dont think you get medium pocket pairs to fold though, but that shouldnt matter much for your decision (both courses of action are unlikely to accomplish this). So calling the flop, raising the turn is by far the best option IMO. An ace on the turn could change things though.

Regards

Paluka
12-13-2003, 02:25 PM
I just called the flop figuring the sb was extremely likely to fold anyway and that my flop raise would not be met with much respect. The sb did indeed fold. The turn card came the 2d, making the board QdQs4d2d. BB bets. What do I do now without a diamond in my hand?

anatta
12-13-2003, 02:30 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I think it's save to assume you will get rid of him the majority of the times regardless whether you raise the flop or just call.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, you are right. The rest of what you said is correct as usual. It good that I enjoy poker, cause its damn hard!

anatta
12-13-2003, 03:36 PM
I would raise the turn since you can safely fold to a three-bet. Even if he has a hand like AdKc (nut flush draw), it is unlikely he would three-bet you with the pair on board and you raising the turn.

Ikke
12-13-2003, 08:48 PM
Because you dont have a diamond, you've got even more reasons to raise.

Regards

Ikke
12-13-2003, 08:53 PM
Anatta,

From your posts I gather that you really like poker. And from that I gather that you will improve endlessly. Isnt the beauty of poker that it's so damn hard to figure out?

Enjoy!

Regards