PDA

View Full Version : flop play

03-20-2002, 03:45 PM
frequently there is talk about outplaying others. as i move up in levels there seems to be lots more raising and re-raising on the flop in 9-18 and 15-30. i understand some of the reasons but i'd like any input that you care to share.

03-20-2002, 04:01 PM
re: raising on the flop

- get more money in due to favorable situation

- crush implied odds of opponents' drawing hands

- get people to fold

- deception, represent a hand

- bluff

- semibluff

- defend against steal

- build/maintain image

- buy a free card

- avoid giving free card

- isolate

- buy the button

03-20-2002, 06:00 PM
Gomez's post is right on the money. As you move up, the players get better, and will raise to make sure that the blinds don't get a free look at the flop with junk, suited connecters will lose value, Ax suited means very little,etc. The preflop raising is to ensure that these types of hands are not around to draw out on their high cards. As the games get tighter and more aggressive (less players, more raises), you really need to understand that high pairs and AK pick up value. That the K-J off suit you limp with in 3-6, is worthless to a raise in a tighter game.

However, don't assume all mid-limit games are tough. I've seen 15-30 games that were as loose as any 3-6, and 3-6 games being played like it was the WSOP. Play your strategy to the game type, not the limits.