PDA

View Full Version : Christmas Music Just for Zee

John Cole
12-12-2003, 02:36 PM
For all you lovers of great Christmas music, and I know there's at least three or four of you, I recommend the following CDs.

First, The Blind Boys of Alabama, which features appearances from Tom Waits, Aaron Neville, and many others, along with Rhode Island favorite Duke Robillard.

A great one: We Three Kings by The Roches. The three sisters sound like a full chorus, and I really like the Brooklynese version of "Walking in a Winter Wonderland."

And, my all time favorite, which I listen to all year round, Leon Redbone's Christmas Island. Redbone combines with Dr. John to do the best version of "Frosty the Snowman" you've ever heard.

Now, if Tom Waits would just do a Christmas CD, all would be right with the world.

John

Zeno
12-12-2003, 04:39 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Redbone combines with Dr. John to do the best version of "Frosty the Snowman" you've ever heard.

[/ QUOTE ]

Even better than Burl Ives?! /images/graemlins/grin.gif

I use to have an old vinyl album of Leon's but over the years it got lost somewhere. Got a CD of the best of Dr. John that I really enjoy. So I think I'll have to get your "all time favortie". Sounds like a good recommendation.

Now, if we can just get Mr. Feeney out of his muscial slump perhaps he can steer us toward something eclectic and worthwhile also.

-Zeno

Ray Zee
12-12-2003, 04:40 PM
you need to put links so we can listen to some takes. why the great john feeney can do it so why cant you.
the blind boys and the roches. give me a break. what have you been imbibing lately. doesnt anyone in the world have any taste in whats good anymore. i give up on this crowd.

HOWEVER-- leon redbone is great. i dont know about his christmas stuff. but i like his music and even went to see him. now thats alot from me.

Zeno
12-12-2003, 05:38 PM
[For Ray, and everyone else] You can order Leon's Christmas Island from Amazon.com and also listen to some samples. Just do a music search for Leon Redbone and the album comes right up. The sample tracks are very good.

John,

I ordered the CD and it will be in my home by next week. I'll listen to it while writing out my Christmas Cards. Thanks for the recommendation.

-Zeno

John Feeney
12-12-2003, 08:10 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Now, if we can just get Mr. Feeney out of his muscial slump perhaps he can steer us toward something eclectic and worthwhile also.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm workin' on it, man. But I'm also converting Rick to Paolo. /images/graemlins/smirk.gif I like Leon too.

John Cole
12-12-2003, 08:35 PM
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&lr=&ie=ISO-8859-1&q=the+umbrellas+of+cherbourg+%2B+ebert

Okay, Ray, here's a film you might really like. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

Ray Zee
12-13-2003, 02:45 AM
i dont want to do a search, i want to be spoon fed and have a link to the song to listen to.

besides i dont have the time as i am still trying to get out the tape thats stuck in my 8 track tape player.