PDA

View Full Version : why in the world...

Bob L
12-12-2003, 01:48 PM
Before going on with this post and want to assure everyone that I do not think any of the major poker sites are rigged in amy way.But I am posting this because I'm getting sick of the argument of why if a poker site is making millions ,risk the whole operation to either rig the deck for fishes,screw big winners out of their money etc.instead I'd like to pose a few other questions.Why would poker players have to post on forums like these about tournaments with huge overlays -isn't that taking shots of good money or prizes right out of their own pockets?Should'nt they just keep their mouths closed and enjoy it while it lasts?

Why would players post and post of how one site have tons and tons of bad players -would they rather have bigger sharks than themselves come and win their own money and everyone elses?-again taking away their own money.
Why would poker players expose such a sweet affiliate program at party and empire.Players are making alot of money a month and by expose I mean getting stupid with stuff like getting half your rake back to sign ups.All the advertising and being so pushy about this has given party and empire no choice but to take measures against this ( need more than 1 signup per tracker)What will they do next?These players don't know but they are going to cost themselves thousands but don't seem to care.
Why do so called winning players have to teach at the table and/or belittle the fish when they get lucky?Aren't they really losing more money for themselves in the long run?

So the next time you hear the argument for poker sites of why would they cut their own throats by rigging the deal or whatever just think about the tons of poker players who do the same things to themselves-so anything is possible.It happens everday on this forum.

PS-again I do not think any site is rigged but just can't understand the argument.

Keep in mind that I'm still drunk and maybe this isnt really happening....

CrackerZack
12-12-2003, 02:28 PM
Take into consideration that I'm hungover and maybe I'm not really replying.

[ QUOTE ]
Why would poker players have to post on forums like these about tournaments with huge overlays -isn't that taking shots of good money or prizes right out of their own pockets?Should'nt they just keep their mouths closed and enjoy it while it lasts?

Why would players post and post of how one site have tons and tons of bad players -would they rather have bigger sharks than themselves come and win their own money and everyone elses?

[/ QUOTE ]

Because the point of discussion on a poker forum is helping each other out and improving your game. This is a two-way street, if people find a good thing they tell the others and expect others to do the same. Following your logic why would anyone explain to someone else how to play a hand? Or figure out pot odds? etc etc. They're taking money from themselves!!!! If everyone thought like you do, these forums wouldn't exist. Actually, very little in this world would.

If everyone takes, takes, takes and contribute nothing eventually there will be nothing left to take and a sad day that will be.

Also, your comparison is just not valid though as a site makes more money from regular, winning players than from fish so it really makes no sense to rig the deal in their favor. They just need to keep a steady stream fish coming in.

LetsRock
12-12-2003, 02:33 PM
[ QUOTE ]
They just need to keep a steady stream fish coming in.

[/ QUOTE ]

In other words, the sharks here are just pointing us fish in the right direction. /images/graemlins/wink.gif

Bob L
12-12-2003, 02:47 PM
I mentioned nothing about talking strategy or pot odds etc.I said why do players talk about it at a poker table?Most of the discussion on this forum lately is to do with affiliate kickbacks and cheating.Read through the last 6 pages of the internet forum.-How many strategy posts are there?This has been turned into advertising central.How many posters have their signature at the end of their posts say something like "get 25 or 50% rake back every month"It's one thing to let everyone know about a good thing but I think it's really gotten out of hand.It's good when posters tell each other about deposit bonuses and such but some of the other posts have alterior (?) motives.You say that if everyone takes ,takes and takes there will be nothing left but I just feel its the other way around on this forum .

Prickly Pete
12-12-2003, 03:33 PM
I think this forum is sort of about that sort of thing. If you want to talk Hold Em strategy, hit the SS or MS forums. Tourney strategy? Tournament forum. This forum has never (at least in my brief stint) been about poker strategy, etc.

I started coming here to learn about all of the different online sites and the various bonuses they offer. Naturally, this is also a place to discuss issues with software, problems with sites, etc.

I understand your point though and struggled with it a bit at first. However, without the help of many here, I know I wouldn't be the player I am now. And I feel like I should try and help others as I have been helped.

thomastem
12-12-2003, 04:40 PM
[ QUOTE ]
. Naturally, this is also a place to discuss issues with software, problems with sites, etc.

[/ QUOTE ]

Let's not forget that this forum also covers the plight of critters and their write to post!

CrackerZack
12-12-2003, 05:17 PM
By forums, i meant twoplustwo as a whole. Other forums are all strategy. This one is a bit messy although i like it here.

As for your point on affiliate stuff, i agree, but not your statements about overlays in tourneys etc. As for table-coaching, table coaches suffer from lack of tilt-control and while I hate it too, its just another aspect of the game to be exploited.

Terry
12-12-2003, 07:01 PM
Count me in with the “give and take” crowd. I come here mainly to keep current on sites that are slow / not paying and for credible information on possible problem sites. In return, I give whatever information I might have along those lines, as well as some stuff I think will be entertaining or informative.

I rarely post regarding poker strategy for the very reason you mention, don’t want to wise up the competition, but I will occasionally try to help out someone who appears to be sincere and struggling, on the theory that the game needs new players and a lot of them will need to be break even or moderate winners to maintain their interest and to insure that there is always a game going for the big fish to sit down in -- helping a stranger really turns out be self-interest; the virtue of selfishness, if you will.

I detest affiliate deals, but not necessarily those who post about or run them. There are some here who are strictly in “take” mode and who are frequently flamed for it, but they must still find it financially rewarding to repeatedly post their link or they wouldn’t stick around – shows you the power of advertising.

I’ll also say that being a member / participant provides some small degree of “social contact” in the isolated environment of those who spend a great deal of time playing online poker. Something beyond “Nice weather we’re having. How ‘bout them Yankees.” is necessary to keep things going, and what would we talk about if not internet gambling?

scotnt73
12-13-2003, 01:15 PM
you act like this forum makes up a large percentage of the players in the world. it doesnt. i play 1/2 and 2/4 on party and the skins along with alot of my fellow micro and small stakes posters on this sight. i play every day but very seldom do i see any of these guys at the tables. if i do i avoid those tables /images/graemlins/grin.gif. i think of it as 2+2 vs the world. i want everyone here to make lots of money. it doesnt affect my roll in the least if i make a 2+2er better. i make 99% of my money off of the 2-7 fish at each table not the other 1-2 solid players at it. i know what i know mostly because of 2+2 in the first place anyway.