PDA

View Full Version : One of my WORST hands ever......?

OrangeHeat
12-12-2003, 12:17 PM
Online 15/30 I have been playing for three hours and have won exactly 2 hands the whole time at the table.. Half of the players are LAG and the rest are weak tight with a couple decent players thrown in..sweet game.

Before the hand I have to shamelessly and openly admit the following:

After getting a set of aces cracked by 74 off on the river I find myself for the first time in awhile close to full blown tilt...it's 2 am, I am tired, I am sick, and I probably should have taken the night off - winning 2 hands and a losing dime thus far doesn't help...I had decided this was my last hand of the night win or lose..

The Hand:

I am UTG with J /images/graemlins/heart.gif 8 /images/graemlins/heart.gif and limp - Mistake Number 1

MP1 (LAG) raises folded to CO (LAG) who three bets. Folded to me and for the first time in my life I say frig the rules and cold call another 30 - Mistake number 2.

MP1 caps - "&*%$#" CO calls and I call with reckless abandon.

Flop is of course a miracle 9 /images/graemlins/club.gif T /images/graemlins/diamond.gif Q /images/graemlins/heart.gif I check MP1 bets, CO raises, I three bet, MP1 caps...CO Calls.

I now am assuming there is an overpair and probably a set out there or two overpairs...LAG's could have KJs but I am playing this hand like there is no tommorow....

Turn is the 5 /images/graemlins/club.gif . I go with my gut here knowing the LAG's will have it to 60 by the time it gets back to me and check. MP1 bets, CO raises, I three bet...MP1 caps again and CO Calls....

Now I am thinking one of them may have the KJs....but with half my remaining stack gone and a good helping of Tilt bottled up I decide to try and cap the river if the board doesn't pair...

River is the 4 /images/graemlins/heart.gif . I figure I have checkraised twice so might as well bet...MP1 Calls, CO raises, I say "damn he does have KJ" and three bet anyway, MP1 Calls, CO caps again and I call.......

MP1 had KK, and CO shows QQ for a set of Queens..my Str8 is good and I drag an $1102 15/30 pot....

FEEDBACK SOLICITED I know preflop was absoutely horrible my question is post flop - after the hand I can't decide if I played too aggressively post flop or not??? My read was on but I was alomost positive one had kj on the river....

Oh yeah - I am definitely divorcing the results...

but it did make me down only $10 for the nite and I went to bed.

CrackerZack
12-12-2003, 12:27 PM
KK overplayed his hand a ton. QQ a bit. I wouldn't have 3-bet the river. You should've gone for the trifecta just to say you did it.

elysium
12-12-2003, 12:35 PM
hi orange
your read goes out the window on the turn.

shemp
12-12-2003, 01:02 PM
In the future with J8s utg its better if you cap preflop on your own, flop a gut shot (check raise that), and then cap the turn when you pick up a flush draw. The river plays itself when your flush or straight gets there -- when it doesn't, don't bluff.

As to your question. Given that you limped (and probably struck your playmates as a fish) and called, your playmates should fear KJ. Since they don't, slow down on the river. Usually, on the river, when one says screw it, I've got a hand even if he has the nuts -- he has the nuts, and you are screwing it.

It seems a strange question: Besides not playing at all because I was on tilt, should I have reraised the river when I felt certain that I was beat?

JimmyV
12-12-2003, 01:09 PM
Great post, Shemp!

A model of the genre.

Ready to get back into digging twoplustwo again,

J-dog

andyfox
12-12-2003, 01:40 PM
"After getting a set of aces cracked by 74 off on the river I find myself for the first time in awhile close to full blown tilt"

Mistake #1. That hand is over. We are not entitled to win a pot because 2 of the 7 cards that we will have happen to be a big pair. In fact, we will probably lose 2/3 of those hands. Letting it effect our play on the next hand is a no-no. But you know this.

"it's 2 am, I am tired, I am sick, and I probably should have taken the night off - winning 2 hands and a losing dime thus far doesn't help"

Mistake #2. Knowing you are tired and not at your best, you should not play any more. If you continue to play, you're liable to play hands like J-8. But you know this.

Mistake #3: Posting this hand. How you played the hand is of no interest to me since you admit you were not playing to play well but simply to try to exorcize your demons. So raise at every oppotunity and turn 'em up at the end seems fine to me.

Not all will admit it, but we've all been there, done that. I've done it at the crap table and at the blackjack table, usually not at the poker table because it takes too long to get the adrenaline rush going.

Hope you slept well. Really.

OrangeHeat
12-12-2003, 01:54 PM
Yeah...The play of the hand doesn't really matter I guess..

The point is I played in a condition I know is hazardous to my Bankroll...I just wanted someone else besides my wife to remind me of that /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Orange