PDA

View Full Version : Using pot odds

arfsananto
12-12-2003, 11:54 AM
How big a factor is pot odds in playing a hand? Is it just part of the overall decision process, or hard-and-fast go/no test? Example:
Dealt As,Qs.....Flop is 8s,3s,5d........1 bet/2 calls to you for 3 SB.....do you fold because you don't have the right pot odds? (My answer would be I would raise)

I know I'm asking alot of very basic questions...I want to have everything right as much as possible from the start...Plus I want to post enough to get "stranger" out from under my name...I tell you, its a tough crowd when you have to work your way up to newbie status.....anyway, thanks for all the help, past and future

arfsananto

arfsananto
12-12-2003, 12:15 PM
re read my post and realized my example is hosed- shows no preflop betting. Please read it as heads-up on flop, 3 sb in pot, I have to decide whether to call 1 sb. I think that makes it work.

Raiser
12-12-2003, 12:19 PM
You do have pot odds to play. Assuming 4 callers pre-flop you have at least 7 small bets in the pot by the time you have to decide. So the pot is laying you 7:1 and you have 9 outs for your flush and overcard outs. You have 15 outs meaning roughly 2:1 to make your hand.

And, with this hand, you should have raised pre-flop meaning you are getting better than the 7:1 that I mentioned above.

Hope this helps.

arfsananto
12-12-2003, 12:28 PM
Thanks, that makes sense, and it helps. I didn't write my example very well. I was trying to come up with a situation where I would have that hand (or maybe just make it A and some low card suited), but not have the correct pot odds. Would I then fold?

Brian
12-12-2003, 12:33 PM
Hi arfsananto,

Pot odds are a critical factor when deciding how your hand should be played. The size of the pot should be considered at *ALL* times when making any decision.

-Brian

MrDannimal
12-12-2003, 12:37 PM
Be sure to take the overcards into account. There's no raise, can you assume your Ace outs are good? Then you'd go from 9 (spades) to 12 outs. Are the Queen outs good? (does the other guy have JTs?), that's 3 more.

I think it's a stone cold lock to call here.

arfsananto
12-12-2003, 01:14 PM
Thanks. I guess my question is, If I have a hand that would otherwise be defintely playable, but the pot odds would not allow playing it, do I have to fold? Or am I trying to be too by-the-book inflexible?

TazQ
12-12-2003, 01:39 PM
I'd raise for value. You have the nut flush draw, backdoor straight draw, and two overcards. Just raising based on the flush draw alone you're getting 3:1 on your money on a 2:1 shot, this is definately an +EV play. You also have a chance of getting a free card.

rkiray
12-12-2003, 02:03 PM
Pot odds are a good way for a beginner to think, but to get better you need to realize that implied odds (including reverse implied odds) are much more important.

Brian
12-12-2003, 02:21 PM
Hi arfsananto,

It completely varies from one scenario to the next. Just because you are only getting 8:1 on a gutshot draw (a 4 outer, meaning you need 11:1) doesn't mean you shouldn't call with it. With implied odds, you usually have a call.

Most things in Poker depends on the circumstances, and your question is way too broad to come up with an answer. Post some hands where you have questions about the pot odds, and we'll explain why or why not you should play.

-Brian

arfsananto
12-12-2003, 02:41 PM
thanks for the help from everyone. the fog is slowly starting to clear....