PDA

View Full Version : Filling up on the river

magic_man
12-12-2003, 11:34 AM
Aggressive, somewhat loose 10-20 game.

I pick up JJ in the BB. UTG raises and gets 3-bet by a preflop semi-maniac. All fold to me, I cap and both call.

Flop 3h-4h-Ks

I bet, UTG calls and the 3rd guy folds. I'm thinking I may have to give up to aggression on the turn. Just then...

Turn [3h-4h-Ks]-Jh

Huttah! I bet out, UTG raises, I re-raise and he caps. "Self," I say to myself, "you might want to watch out here." Just then...

River [3h-4h-Ks-Jh]-4s

Huttah! I check, he bets, I raise, and he 3-bets. I call and cross my fingers. Results below.

Comments on all streets appreciated. I'm particularly interested in the river play.

~Magic_Man
"If the whole idea is not to show how it's done, how does ANYBODY ever learn card tricks?!"

magic_man
12-12-2003, 11:41 AM
I think it's clear on the turn here that my opponent has KK or some sort of flush, AQh most likely. That said, it's pretty clear I'm behind when he 3-bets the river. He showed down KK and won a huge pot.

That's all well and good in hindsight. The funny thing is, if the turn card had been the Js instead of hearts, I would have played the hand much differently probably. Here are some questions I have on all streets.

Preflop: Does anyone fold here? With the amount of 3-betting that was going on, I think it was out of the question. I suppose I could just call. Thoughts?

Flop: If I cap I think I have to bet out. Had I called, it might have gone "check, bet, raise" or some other sequence that got me to fold.

Turn: Can I save bets here? If I had checkraised, I could have just called a 3-bet and not put in 4 here.

RIVER: This is the most crucial to me I think. Does anyone bet out and call a raise? Check and call?

Perhaps even more importantly, do I just suck? Did I lose way too much with this hand?

Thanks for any thoughts. I've only recently started playing in this aggressive game and I'm still getting used to the switch.

~Magic_Man
"If the whole idea is not to show how it's done, how does ANYBODY ever learn card tricks?!"

LetsRock
12-12-2003, 12:15 PM
Maniacs! I hate maniacs! Just when you think you finally got 'em cornered they pull a real hand out of their.... hat!

What can you do? Given a maniac read (unless his slowplay of the flop was a tell?), you have to try to shove this down his throat. Just tough luck I say.

elysium
12-12-2003, 12:44 PM
hi magic
the river action is wrong. it should go; bet, raise, reraise, reraise, call; or of course, bet, raise, reraise, call. you don't want to open yourself up to having a 4-bet reraised, but you do want to 3-bet.