PDA

View Full Version : Yegad!

Coilean
12-12-2003, 04:56 AM
Lively 15-30 game. A LAG limps in EP before the designated tilter raises from MP, I have T/images/graemlins/spade.gif8/images/graemlins/spade.gif in the CO and uhh make it 3 bets (I've been good for the past 3 hours, honest). The button folds and everyone else calls.

K/images/graemlins/diamond.gif7/images/graemlins/club.gif3/images/graemlins/diamond.gif. Everyone checks to me. If I bet, it's pretty certain I will get at least one caller and maybe a raiser, so why bother? I check.

2/images/graemlins/diamond.gif. Everyone checks to me again, so I decide the first round may have been an honest check and bet, the blinds fold, the LAG EP limper now raises (which is atypical for him, he's usually a pedal to the metal kinda guy when he hits something, so I figure he most likely has a naked diamond of unknown size, nothing, or mabye hit a crap 2 pair with the deuce), tilter folds, and here's the crazy part: I think about 2 seconds and call with the intention of raising almost anything on the river (who prefers the immediate reraise?).

J/images/graemlins/diamond.gif. LAG bets, and I raise as planned (heh). Just curious really if anyone else ever wanders out onto this limb with me on occassion (I think I saw mike l.'s ghost /images/graemlins/wink.gif).

gavrilo
12-12-2003, 05:53 AM
Yep I can see Elysium hanging himself right now..

andyfox
12-12-2003, 01:50 PM
Cool post.

The best part will definitely be elysium's response. I cant hardly wait. He will probably accuse you of Romper Room Poker. He may not be wrong.

My guess is the limb broke and the cradle fell.

With the utmost respect and regards,
Andy

Philuva
12-12-2003, 03:18 PM
[ QUOTE ]
K73. Everyone checks to me. If I bet, it's pretty certain I will get at least one caller and maybe a raiser, so why bother? I check.

[/ QUOTE ]

This seems like exactly the type of game you never want to 3-bet with T8s. Specially, when there were two players already in the pot pre-flop with you.

If there is no possibility of taking the pot with a bet on a ragged flop whenever one misses, that makes T8s a little harder to play for 3 bets. Plus this doesn't seem like a table where anyone is paying attention to image, so that doesn't even help.

Whenever I do this type of stuff, the other guy usually calls with a hand like 2 /images/graemlins/spade.gif4 /images/graemlins/heart.gif to take it down. I think that is why I have tried to stop doing this type of stuff.

skp
12-12-2003, 03:22 PM
As you once said - well, maybe it was Doyle who said it but same difference as far as I am concerned- sometimes, you don't need any cards to win when you have the button.

A very good example of playing the man and what he doesn't have for cards as opposed to playing it like how the rest of us blokes do which is simply looking at our own cards and figuring out how it matches up with the board.

This is what makes playing poker fun. Unfortunately, the games that I play in don't generally offer this type of creativity...but I guess that's made up for in terms of sheer profitability.

Anyway, excellent thinking.

elysium
12-12-2003, 03:35 PM
hi coil
the effect of this wild, wreckless abandon on your opponents can be inculcated by different means, and in situations that are slightly ev positive, rather than in hopeless situations like the one presented here. yes coil, you somehow won the hand. but aren't you better getting an aggressive bluffer heads up and doing the wild thing than you are in this multi-way call down? yes, i know, all folded today, but they won't fold tomorrow. and that's why we're all here posting today. not for hands that we have already played, but for the future hands that we will play. we're not here to congradulate one another for winning some meaningless pot.

RollaJ
12-12-2003, 03:37 PM
3 bet the turn, he saw you trying to buy it. good raise on the river

I.Rowboat
12-12-2003, 03:51 PM
Thanks for posting this.

Personally, I don't like the check on the flop; I would probably bet, representing either a king or a diamond draw. Since you have nothing but position, you might as well use your position to trim down the field. Just checking after three betting the before the flop opens the door to trouble down the road (and by down the road I mean future hands). I can't think of too many hands I would three bet before the flop that I would also check on the button with this flop. I'd certainly bet a set here, as well as top pair, and I would also bet QQ if it were checked to me. So I think your flop check screams weakness, not strength.

The diamond on the turn should be a good scare card for you, and I like the fact that you bet it. When the LAG raises you, I would also tend to put him on a naked diamond, but I think it's a high one -- I could see him limping with something like A/images/graemlins/diamond.gif-baby, giving him either 2's or 3's with his nut diamond draw, or an gutshot wheel draw/diamond draw.

I think the J/images/graemlins/diamond.gif on the river kills your hand, but maybe he was on a bigger bluff than you were? I don't see him folding a diamond here to your raise, but maybe he'll fold a crappy pair w/out a diamond.

It does seem like you crawled pretty far out on your limb. Kudos if you were able to manipulate him into folding the winner. Personally, I'd wait for better opportunities.

Coilean
12-13-2003, 06:26 AM
Well, my opponent folded, so the limb held up this time. It was definitely a fun play to make, but I certainly shouldn't make visiting the Romper Room a habit, my success here notwithstanding. But hey, skp liked it so it can't be all that bad /images/graemlins/wink.gif.

Coilean
12-13-2003, 06:28 AM
There is definitely wisdom in what you speak. Thankfully, I am sane the other 99% of hands I play.

Coilean
12-13-2003, 06:33 AM
I was hoping to get more feedback about the reraising turn vs. raising the river thing. The main reasons I waited until the river were that I figured he was much more likely to call the turn (a diamond of some sort being a definite possibility for his hand), I'm pretty much obliged to bet the river anyway if I reraise the turn and he calls, and I think I'm more likely to get him to fold a crap pair by raising on the river than on the turn.

Coilean
12-13-2003, 06:44 AM
Yep, I definitely agree I'm indicating a hand of little virtue by checking the flop. But I don't see myself picking up this pot with a bet hardly ever either, so why risk being check raised off the pot when I might pick up an 8 9 or T on the turn and have a shot at winning legitimately? Really, I trapped myself into checking by making the pot so big preflop that I didn't want to lose my teeny remaining chance at winning it after I whiffed the flop, if that makes any sense. And yes, I know these are pretty good arguments for not 3-betting preflop, I just like to show the table that I can gamble occassionally /images/graemlins/tongue.gif. Oh yeah, and thanks for bringing up the weakness of my flop check; that's what made the LAG's check raise attempt look so weak to me, and inspired the subsequent madness.

CrackerZack
12-15-2003, 01:46 PM
I never ever want to play with you. You're scary. Ni han.

Al_Capone_Junior
12-15-2003, 02:09 PM
Were you thrown out of a bus and landed on your head recently? You should really see a doctor... But if you won I think it is fantastic! /images/graemlins/grin.gif

al