PDA

View Full Version : Kill game adjustments?

03-18-2002, 02:38 PM
(Fixed-limit HE with a full kill. When you first win a pot you earn the "kill off" button, and if you win another consecutive pot >$20 the limits double for that hand, and you post a straddle equal to the new big blind on your kill button.)

Questions:

- Say you have the kill button but the kill is "off" and the hand is not a kill. Should you tighten up somewhat, considering that if you win the current pot you're gonna have to post a straddle equal to what is right now one big bet? (i.e. it's a 5-10 game, and if you kill then you're going to have to straddle $10 the next hand thus robbing your current pot of one big bet.)

- Related to the above, say you are in a kill pot and you were the kill, meaning you posted the live straddle in the double-limit hand. If you win this one, you get to straddle again but it's only 1/2 of a current big bet. Tighten up a little?

- How much does position matter to the above: more or less than usual, and why?

- What if you will kill it in a hand where you're currently sitting UTG ... then you aren't hurt next hand because you would be the big blind anyway. Play normal here?

- Okay, say someone else has killed the pot and posted their straddle on the double-limit hand. Can you losen up a tad, considering that there's a live blind straddle out there to play for? Bear in mind that the double limits may already have scared some of the crickets, so the pickins may already be easier.

I have some ideas on the above but wanted to generate some discussion. My next discussion post will deal with the ever-popular live straddle, the double straddle and the rare but always exciting quadruple straddle.

03-19-2002, 09:17 PM

03-19-2002, 09:34 PM
After winning one pot, I play my normal game. If I win the next pot and have to post a kill, I'm still making a profit on the second pot I win. Still, many others have posted that you should tighten to avoid posting a kill.

I think position has the same impact it usually does.

With an extra blind being posted, there is more money in the pot to play for. Therefore, you should slightly loosen your standards for entering the pot. You should open with a raise with many more hands.

03-19-2002, 09:35 PM