PDA

View Full Version : ASK RAY ZEE: Omaha 8

SOON
12-11-2003, 09:28 PM
Hi, Ray. I'm a reader of your book.

Recently, I heard this from an expert player: "Omaha 8 is a game that is still little known, the advices given by the authors who have written on this game were old and not necessaril correct. There have been new findings, especially to hands like 6-7-8-9..."

Do you have any new findings or advices on this game? I'm really curious to see it. Thanks

SOON

Glenn
12-11-2003, 10:21 PM
Yeah, the advice used to be to muck 6789 with your left hand, but now you are supposed to do it with your right hand.

bisonbison
12-12-2003, 10:11 AM
6789 - won't win the low, won't win the high.

I'd check with it on the BB, and get involved if the flop was 999.

crockpot
12-12-2003, 10:38 AM
when i played on ub regularly, i had a 'fish list' on my ultimatebuddy. if you played 6789, especially in pot-limit, and extra-especially for a raise in pot-limit, you were said to be 'auto-fish listed'. does that count as a new finding?

wait, i've got it. this just in: that 'expert player'...isn't one.

nicky g
12-12-2003, 10:46 AM
It may well win the high; that's not its problem. The problem is if it does, you're almost guaranteed to be getting half the pot at best, cos it needs low cards to make nut straights, and is probably giving someone a freeroll for both halfs.

chaos
12-12-2003, 11:11 AM
Either:
A. This guy is NOT an expert.
B. He is encouraging you to play bad hands.
C. He is yanking your chain.

Hands with 8s and 9s are the worst hands in Omaha/8.

bigpooch
12-12-2003, 11:53 AM
I don't see a situation at all where you might play 9876
or even T987 or JT98 when not in the blinds.

All these hands spell trouble for half a BB (or more) in O8.
The question remains under what conditions would make
precisely a hand like QJT9 or KJT9 playable.

Ray Zee
12-12-2003, 12:58 PM
the old advice from me is still good. there will always be more info arriving as people work out problems and tasks. nothing monumental should beak through. especially on playing garbage. usually what you find as time goes by is that even tighter play is better in most poker games. especially as the competition gets to know the game.

where people can improve alot is in the play of hands like yours in the bb when you get in free and its headup or shorthanded. shorthanded play comes about alot in games as they get tighter and youhave to be proficient at it to win.
good luck.

Buzz
12-18-2003, 07:41 PM
"There have been new findings"

Soon - Doesn't the vagueness of that statement bother you a little?

Buzz