PDA

View Full Version : $10+1 vs. $30+3 Party NLHE SNG Tourneys

jacki
12-11-2003, 09:11 PM
What's the difference in quality of opponent.
I just started with tourneys, and have done pretty well so far at the $10 tables (only missed the money twice out of about 15 tries, won 5 or 6 times)
But the two times I've tried the $30 tables, I've felt totally outmatched.

Am I just going in with pre-conceived notions, or is there really a difference?

And yes, I know 15-20 tourneys is nowhere near enough of a sample size, but I'd like to hear your opinions anyways.

toby
12-12-2003, 01:24 AM
From my own experience it seems like people make more rational decisions on the higher limit (Here I am equating 24+2 to 30+3, because I haven't played the 30+3's).

In 10+1 today I had someone call my all-in bet preflop with 66 (I had KK) and he got another 6 to win it. Also someone called my allin bet when I had TPTK to hit 2 miracle cards on the turn and river to give him a straight.

Those were bad luck for me, but it seems people are just more willing to gamble with those lower stakes and their combined gambling will draw out on you more often than higher stakes.

ANyway, if you are winning money in the 10+1's...why stop?

Just my perception...

-Toby

eastbay
12-12-2003, 02:06 AM
[ QUOTE ]
What's the difference in quality of opponent.
I just started with tourneys, and have done pretty well so far at the $10 tables (only missed the money twice out of about 15 tries, won 5 or 6 times)
But the two times I've tried the $30 tables, I've felt totally outmatched.

Am I just going in with pre-conceived notions, or is there really a difference?

And yes, I know 15-20 tourneys is nowhere near enough of a sample size, but I'd like to hear your opinions anyways.

[/ QUOTE ]

I find $30 easier than $10, and $50 easier still. The lower buy-ins are just too unpredictable/crapshoot with tons of multiway pots. My bankroll isn't ready for $100's yet.

Gator
12-12-2003, 05:57 PM
My experience (not statistically validated) is that the difference between the $10 and $30 is not significant. There seems (to me) to be a jump in the competition at the $50 level.

AnyAce
12-12-2003, 06:16 PM
I haven't played many $10+1's, but the $30+3's are still home to plenty of bad play. I just try to sit back and let the "lower quality players" knock each other out while I get a feel for how they play.

I agree with the earlier poster in that the $50+5's are more predictable. There are fewer complete morons. Also you start with T1000 instead of T800.

Check out the thread on SNG losing streaks from a few days ago in this forum. I also posted a thread on the difference between party sng's and pokerstars. Some useful info there too. (Sorry I don't have links to them).

Good luck.

AliasMrJones
12-12-2003, 07:01 PM
I generally play $10+1, but accidentally got into a $30+3 once. At first I was intimidated, but then realized the competition wasn't significantly better than the $10's. A little saner, but not a whole lot better otherwise. I came in 2nd. I've seen others here say that the $30's aren't much different than 10's.

Prickly Pete
12-12-2003, 07:18 PM
My info on the $10s is dated since I haven't played them in a while, but I'll assume they are still wild. I have played a lot of $30s and $50s and I definitely believe that the competition gets a little better the higher you go. You may lose an idiot or 2 at each step.

The $30s and $50s can still be profitable, but the competition does get a little better.

zooey
12-13-2003, 03:15 PM
Sorry I havn't learned to format tables yet.

Here's my opinion on Party SnG player distribution:

Level . # Fish . # Okay . # Excellent
10 8 2 0
30 6 3 1
50 5 3 2
100 3 4 3
200 2 4 4

I think an aspiring SnG player (who I would probably rate on the plus side of okay) should move up as fast as their bankroll allows. I like to have 50 buy-ins, and my win rate is decent.

Its imperative to catagorize your opponents as quickly as possible. Use Pokertracker, profile your opponents, and give tight aggressive players a wide berth until its 100-200 (level 4). Download your hands in real time and look at every shown down hand. And learn standard deviation basics, so you know when your results are significant. Your intuitive feel for whats going on is much more reliable than your results until you have played at LEAST 100 tourneys.

Best,

Zooey

Scooterdoo
12-13-2003, 06:27 PM
Only play the $50 and $100 levels on Party and have found a big difference between the two. On the $50 level there are often anywhere from 2 to 7 or 8 bad to average players and you usually only encounter 1 or 2 strong players who mix it up. At the $100 level you'll find quite a few strong players and you need to be much more careful about getting trapped.