PDA

View Full Version : re:short-handed starting hands

03-17-2002, 01:33 PM
Hello, I am a fairly new player, and I am looking for some advice pre-flop for short-handed games. I usually play low-limits on-line, (1-2, 2-4, 3-6). I think I have a great pre-flop game when the table is full, but when the table drops a few players, (down to 7 players or less) I'm having trouble adjusting. Should I play hands like Ace-7 suited UTG? pocket 55's ? I know the real answer to this question is 'it depends', but I'm just looking for some advice that might help me out, not necessarily set standards.

Thanks, Rookie.

03-17-2002, 01:50 PM
Big hands and big cards play better against fewer opponents. In a five handed or smaller game, you need to raise more with big cards. Particularly with an ace-mid suited,a king-mid suited, Pocket pairs, or two big cards. The reason you want to come in more aggressively with these cards, is that you will be seeing your blinds more often than in a full game, and now need to play more hands. Play looser and more aggressive in late positions, and a bit tighter in early position.

With 6 or 7 players, I don't consider that to be a real short handed game. Play the way you would if 4-5 people saw the flop. Short handed can be very profitable once you get used to it.

03-18-2002, 10:36 AM
When playing 5 handed for example, I don't think of it as under the gun, I think of it as if I'm two off the button and the first 5 have folded. So decide what you would play in that situation.

A-7 suited I would almost always raise in that situation. 5-5 is tougher, because you'd like to get heads up or play everyone. Decide if you're likely to get rid of players with the raise and make the play appropriately.

03-18-2002, 03:00 PM
http://www.posev.com/poker/holdem/strategy/preflop-abdul.html