PDA

View Full Version : Overplayed 4th Street? 5-10 Taj

JPolin
12-11-2003, 03:34 PM
A beautiful fishy lineup over at the 5-10 game Taj last weekend. Here's an interesting hand I'd like some feedback on.

I'm in the CO+1 with QcJc. Three limpers to me and I limp as well. I think I should have raised, however. CO (new player, tight table image, this is the first flop she's voluntarily seen) raises, BB and limpers call, I call.

6 to the flop.

Ac As 10c

Checked to the CO+2, who bets out, I raise and preflop raiser makes it three bets. Everyone else folds until the initial bettor and I call.

Three to the turn, which is a 9h. This makes me open-ended in addition to the flush draw. Flop bettor opens again on the turn. This guy has typically been gunshy and is very weak-loose. He's afraid of monsters and has given many free cards which have beaten him. I put him on a middling ace, but A9 is not out of the question.

I raise. Comments?

Results to follow.

-Justin

Paluka
12-11-2003, 03:40 PM
Do I have this right that the preflop raiser and the guy who 3 bet the flop is still going to act behind you on the turn? I hope you caught the Kc on the river.

JPolin
12-11-2003, 03:49 PM
Forgot to add an assessment of the woman. I do not think that she would raise with A10 here. Minimum AJ but I'm skeptical of that. I guess 1010 is possible too. She looks like a pretty tight womanly type from my first impression. In case I didnt make it clear in my post, the woman is the preflop raiser and the person who made it three bets on the flop.

-Justin

Paluka
12-11-2003, 03:52 PM
What is your raise going to accomplish here? Do you think both of your opponents are just full of it? Are you looking for a free showdown with Q high?

elysium
12-11-2003, 03:58 PM
hi jp
since your hand can improve in a volatile situation with gauranteed heavy action, when it improves to the nuts; and since it is also a vulnerable hand even if it does improve, and there is a solid raiser behind you, why pay the maximum?

JPolin
12-11-2003, 04:42 PM
The flop three-bettor smooth called the two bets on the turn. The river brought a beautiful 2 of clubs, and a bet and two calls later I dragged the huge pot. The man showed A8o and the woman showed AJo.

My reasoning for the turn raise was twofold. First, I wanted to establish if I was drawing dead. I figured that if I got three-bet again I could easily lay down my hand. Still, this was poor reasoning as calling would have been a cheaper way to lose the hand and would have included a showdown.

Secondly, I thought that my straight and flush draws gave me the ability to put in a value raise. This, too, was likely a mistaken belief. Though it looked like there were as many as 17 outs, they were not necessarily clean. I think I wanted to get fancy and ended up wildly overplaying.

Thanks again for all the insight.

Regards,
Justin

andyfox
12-11-2003, 05:21 PM
You're drawing to a royal flush. (You couldn't be drawing dead.) Why knock anyone out? With all those players certainly someone has an ace. You could hit a straight of a flush and still lose to a full house.

astroglide
12-11-2003, 07:07 PM
preflop: raise

flop: don't raise. you're knocking out customers. people will call flops like this with pocket fives if it's raised preflop and 1 bet on the flop. two aces are less scary than one.

turn: don't raise. you only have 2 opponents and can easily get 3bet here.