PDA

View Full Version : Hand to talk about - misplayed? which street(s)?

nykenny
12-11-2003, 12:52 PM
I was in a loose 10-20 game with a tight player (not good) and a tricky medium loose (bad). others are total fish.

everyone folded to me in CO+2 and i had A7o. it's early in the night, so i decided to gamble and raised. A Korean dude (quite aggressive pre-flop with any hand he likes) re-raised. at this point i have seen him raised out of BB with QJo and lead to river after missed. and the like. BB called (i didn't like).

flop T86 rainbow. i have straight draw and one pair draw. BB checked and i bet because i knew the Korean dude would raise if he had a pair higher than board, for sure. he didn't. just called. i put him on AK. BB called (i hate).

turn was blank, check, bet, call, call.

river was K. what's my move?

comments on other streets are welcome too.

results to follow

Kenshin
12-11-2003, 01:07 PM
Get out now. Your pair draws might not even be clean.

onegymrat
12-11-2003, 01:16 PM
Hi Kenny,

I don't like the preflop raise. Trouble hand. Steal on the button with it, not CO+2. Also, you know Korean dude is LAP, he won't fold anyway. Muck it preflop, but since you went for the steal, let's play it out.

After they called your flop bet, I feel your hand is done. Take the free card on the turn (assuming Korean dude doesn't bet, which you would fold to), and hope to spike your gutshot or top pair.

Now that you've bet the turn, you might as well bet the river. You don't have a hand to show down. Pray they missed their draw. I hope there's a happy ending. Good luck.

Kenshin
12-11-2003, 01:32 PM
Oops, I did not read that you posted the river card. I would either bluff or fold, probably the latter

nykenny
12-11-2003, 01:36 PM
[ QUOTE ]
might as well bet the river... no hand to show down

[/ QUOTE ]
i like this play...

JPolin
12-11-2003, 02:01 PM
As others have said, I don't think the preflop raise is too hot...

Seems pretty certain given the Korean's level of passivity post-flop that he is on overcards. I think AK or AQ is most likely, definitely not QJ because he would play that hand more aggressively on the flop. Also, I know he raised with QJ before but I can't see him making it 3 bets with that weak of a hand.

The BB is more puzzling. I wish I had more information about his playing style. What hands would he call two bets cold with that like this flop? A set is out of the question given the lack of a turn check-raise. If he's loose-passive a hand like J9s, J10, or Q10 would not surprise me. If he's normally aggressive or good I have no clue what his holding could be.

I really don't see the Korean making a laydown here, so I don't like the shot you fired on fourth street. I think you take your free card and hope. Even playing it the way you did, I don't think a third salvo on the river will win you this pot. Save a bet and live to fight another day.

-Justin

Philuva
12-11-2003, 02:29 PM
Change your read on the Korean dude from having AK to AQ and bet the river. Better yet, give him and the blind both A2o and you should value bet the river.

nykenny
12-11-2003, 02:49 PM
i generally agree with what you said. so it probably didn't matter whether i bet river or not.

river was checked around and Korean dude won with AQo. the other guy has J9o. i was wondering if i should have bet the river. my read was bad because i gave AK too much possibility. it was also possible for him to have AQ and AJ.

But in any case, with a 3rd BB guy in the pot, it's hard to bet the river. i thought i was behind for sure..

Kenny

Paluka
12-11-2003, 03:04 PM
I knew there was a reason not to raise A7o preflop....

JPolin
12-11-2003, 03:22 PM
The implicit collusion definitely works against you. But is there any chance in hell that Korean guy lays down AQ here?

-Justin

onegymrat
12-11-2003, 04:06 PM
The better question is, "Who wouldn't lay down AQ to a river bet here?"

Lawrence Ng
12-11-2003, 04:35 PM
Hey there NYKenny,

For the most part I think you played fine.

I think a check, fold the river is a given.

If you were last to act you could try and bluff this pot, but I would wait for a better opportunity to try it.

/images/graemlins/ooo.gif

Ulysses
12-11-2003, 05:03 PM
[ QUOTE ]
The better question is, "Who wouldn't lay down AQ to a river bet here?"

[/ QUOTE ]

Lots of players will call w/ AQ/AK here. I'll do it a fair amount in the right spots.

ACPlayer
12-11-2003, 05:24 PM
Preflop fold unless blinds very tight and players after you very tight or you have a telegraph.

Once at the river bet -- pray pray some more -- Unless you know forsure that LAG with a big Ace that missed.

nykenny
12-12-2003, 02:53 PM
it's interesting to know that many people actually advocate a occasional call here as a legit play.

thanks.