PDA

View Full Version : Wussin out with AA

two_dogs
12-11-2003, 11:03 AM
Party 2/4
Slow night, haven't hit a flop all night when I get A /images/graemlins/spade.gifA /images/graemlins/heart.gif in the BB.
Folded to MP who limps folded to Button(a recent arrival I have ne read on) who raises SB calls I raise MP folds all else call.
Flop is an incredible K /images/graemlins/diamond.gifK /images/graemlins/heart.gifK /images/graemlins/club.gif
I bet button raises SB calls I get a sick feeling that with the Buttons raise preflop he has AK so I call and go into call down mode.(What a wimp)
Turn 3 /images/graemlins/heart.gif I check Button bets SB calls I call
River 8 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif I check Button bets SB folds I call.
I know the odds the Button has the other King are very small and i should have at least check raised the turn but I wussed and I don't usually do that.Your thoughts please.
results to follow.

Lost Wages
12-11-2003, 11:08 AM
Yea, you should put in a ton of bets and raises before you convince yourself that you are behind. The button is much more likely to have QQ,JJ, TT or worse than he is to have AK. Very few players would raise quads on the flop especially since he risks shutting out the SB.

Lost Wages

Brian
12-11-2003, 11:10 AM
Hi twodogs,

Unless the Button is either a complete newbie or at an expert level, I would not expect him to play a King in this fashion. A newbie would bet the whole way with a King, not thinking about slowplaying at all. And an expert (might) try to be tricky by playing in an obvious manner. Surely he doesn't have a King, he is just betting right out!

At Party 2/4, without a read, I would assume he is neither. I think you definitely missed a few bets here. I would not give him credit for a King until he showed some strength on the Turn, and even then...

-Brian

Edge34
12-11-2003, 11:14 AM
Hey two-dogs,

Reraising the flop here is my play. Look at the possibilities - first, you've got a made full house, and a raise on a board like that doesn't always mean the case K is out there. Many players will raise with just an ace thinking the exact same thing you do - that the odds that you have the 4th king are really low too. In a case where only one card beats me, I'll reraise that flop with my Kings full and then if he reraises me again, I'll consider going into calldown mode. If he calls, leading out on the turn may win you the pot outright. Second - the raise from the button with only one limper shouldn't really scream AK to you. A raise in that position with almost any ace is not at all uncommon, especially on party. You can't be afraid of monsters under the bed with this hand.

LetsRock
12-11-2003, 11:14 AM
These hands are always fun. You KNOW the odds of the other K being out there are slim, but....

The fact that BTN raised on the flop tells me he doesn't have it. Flopped quads are almost automatic slow-play. I would have to 3-bet the flop and then go into call down if BB caps.

Last night, I actually lost QQ to an indentical flop and the K let me hang myself until the river. I wish he would have raised the flop so I would have saved a BB on his c/r on the river. So I know it's possible, but the flop is the cheapest place to do your investigating.

Just be happy your Ace didn't hit the board.....

Schneids
12-11-2003, 04:15 PM
There is no reason to fastplay your aces on that flop. I would call the raise and check/raise the turn, and probably be willing to cap the turn if the guy makes it 3-bets.

Schneids
12-11-2003, 04:19 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Just be happy your Ace didn't hit the board.....

[/ QUOTE ]
I would love to see an ace hit the board. Think of how well you'll get paid off if the button has an ace in his hand.