PDA

View Full Version : Tough way, easy living.(long-reality)

03-16-2002, 06:41 PM
Well I've been humbled. That means I got busted.

I've been studying the game, books, 2+2forum, talking to some poker pro friends for quite a while.

My game always seemed to come from "having the best of it" when I got involved. Not always of course. We all see the flop as an underdog, every time we play but try to minimize that or have pot odds or whatever in out favor.

I used to ridicule the dumbass play of some players when they gave me a bad beat. Stopped doing that. Became for the most part unemotional

at the table or cheerful. Some feared me in my low limit 3-6, 4-8, 6-12 games. Obvious comments

when I entered a pot with a raise. But alas they got me anyways.

Work had been very very slow all year last year. I'd make a little extra in HE. Then last AUG-OCT

my bankroll went way up from play. So I decided to make a road trip to LV to "grade myself" before venturing further in this game. I knew what to expect in players. 10 days solid and only 1 small loss of a few big bets(less then 10). The rest all profit. I played 6-12, 9-18, 10-20, 15-30

and one little PL game over @ the Horseshoe. Aside from blowing a grand in craps it was very good. I still left nice winners. And with confidence most of all.

I returned to San Francisco to find no job. Ok well I guess it's time. Since then I have had 81%

winning days. In January I played only 14 days. I had 1 small loss. I was surviving. But withthe bills needing to be paid from poker I actually didnt want to play alot. My bankroll started to drain. Then it was getting short. uhoh....now I NEED to "work" and try to pik up a couple racks.

Pressure. It aint good. Survival pressure.

Well the BR got too short. I HAD TO WIN. The bad beats came. The not seeing a flop for 7 rounds last Tues, coming in for a raise UTG to get beat by 10-3os. Over and over.

Busted and disgusted. Gotta pay rent. uhoh. Waiting on this new job but it's been 2 weeks...uhoh. They werent kidding when they said it's a tough way to make and easy living.

03-17-2002, 09:52 AM
gee wiz. if you dont have enough money saved to pay all your bills for like 6 months and have enough to get clobbered like 10 times in a row and still have money to gamble with then theres pretty much no way you can even begin to have a chance to win.

brad

03-17-2002, 02:10 PM
SO very very true. Another part of the "toughway,easylivin" idea.

03-18-2002, 04:49 PM
These are my favorite types of posts. I love when people discuss their poker "journey". Not to say that I like the misery of others, but it prepares me for the worst. Your story reminds me of hearing about a top poker player's lecture. One of the first slides he showed was a slide that said "DO NOT PLAY POKER FOR A LIVING". I think that is sound advice. I think you are better off working at some little crap temp job, as poker is definitely a game where you can force the issue.

DN