PDA

View Full Version : 20-40 Borgata Hand JJ in the BB

SoBeDude
12-11-2003, 10:16 AM
I'm in AC for the first time ever. Having a great time.

Buckshot from 2+2 is to my immediate left, and trying hard to get me drunk.

He didn't like the way I played this hand, so I thought I'd post it.

I'm in the BB with JJ. A VERY poor player, LAG with horrible raising standards, raises one limper, he gets 3-bet by a reasonable player, I call 2 more. All call, 4 to see the flop for 3 bets.

flop is 5 6 8 rainbow. I bet out, original PF raiser raises it, I reraise, he caps.

I end up calling him down when no overcards to my jack appear (turn and river are both 2's). He shows me the 47s for the flopped straight.

Buckshot hated my Preflop and Flop play. He insists I should have capped it preflop. I think waiting until the flop to ram-n-jam is a viable alternative.

It represents a bigger hand IMO, a preflop cap could be any number of hands, including a hand like AKs, but if I wait until the flop to jam, expecially when I have an overpair, it represents more strength.

Opinions?

-Scott

Edge34
12-11-2003, 10:47 AM
Hey Scott,

I think the trouble you ran into was the fact that another "reasonable" player 3-bet it. However, I agree with Buckshot - by "just" calling with your JJ in the blind, you allowed the LAG in for just one more small bet. Capping it would have represented more power PF and might (key word - might) have gotten the guy to muck his garbage. Of course, your post-flop play was fine, in my opinion - no way could you put him on exactly 47 for a flopped straight.

SoBeDude
12-11-2003, 10:54 AM
Its been my experience that any LAG who raises preflop with 47s won't fold for 2 more bets back to him.

-Scott

Barry
12-11-2003, 01:52 PM
Maybe he will call 2 more. Heck, you want him to call 2 more with his crap. The fact that he got lucky in this hand is irrelevant.

Certainly the pre-flop play is the most interesting. If the LAG had been known to raise light, than a decent player will be quick to make it 3-bets to isolate the LAG. If you believe that this is an isolation raise, then by all means you should put in a 4th bet with your premium hand. (Is it a 4 bet cap at the Borgata?) If however, you think that the 3 bettor would only do so with a hand normally worth 3 bets, than I think that more caution would be in order.

JPolin
12-11-2003, 02:05 PM
Preflop it's an easy 4-bet. What do you think of the possibility of firing out on the turn and laying your hand down to a raise?

-Justin

nykenny
12-11-2003, 02:53 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Capping it would have represented more power PF and might (key word - might) have gotten the guy to muck his garbage.

[/ QUOTE ]
LAG is not folding any garbage for just 2 more bets...

Kenny

nykenny
12-11-2003, 02:57 PM
[ QUOTE ]
What do you think of the possibility of firing out on the turn and laying your hand down to a raise?

[/ QUOTE ]
this is a terrible way to play poker. why do people constantly suggest it?

Paluka
12-11-2003, 03:07 PM
You should cap preflop, keep betting until you get raised, and then call down. Overcards coming might change this.

CrackerZack
12-11-2003, 03:32 PM
I'm with buckshot on this. I like the lead hoping the raiser will clear out the field for you. Although if you don't expect him to raise you, I'd C/R LP on this one. If he's apt to raise almost anything, good bet.

Are you still there? A bunch of us will be there on friday night.

JPolin
12-11-2003, 03:37 PM
Is there any amount of betting from the LAG that will convince you that you're beaten? If not, then you're right.

-Justin

Lawrence Ng
12-11-2003, 04:09 PM
If your hunch, the "reasonable raiser" who 3-bet is on an isolation raise, then you should cap it - otherwise fold your jacks and wait for a better opportunity.

Most LAG players are LAG pre-flop. How is his post flop play? Does he ram jam even when he misses? I think that's important to take note.

I think you played it fine for the most part and he just got damn lucky.

Paluka
12-11-2003, 04:38 PM
Folding your jacks preflop here is ridiculous.

Ulysses
12-11-2003, 05:00 PM
You have to punish this kind of player when you have the best of it. Definitely 4-bet pre-flop.