PDA

View Full Version : On the subject of overtime

jstnrgrs
12-11-2003, 03:07 AM
A friend of mine suggested the following format for football overtime.

The winner of a coin toss would have the option to start with the ball on their own five yard line, or make the other team start on their five yard line (or choose sides). Play would then proceed normally and the first team to score wins.

I like this idea better than any other that has been suggested. It doesn't significantly change the rules of the game (like the college format), and it doesn't give a huge advantage to the winner of the coin toss (the advantage of having the ball first is offset by poor field position.) (Note that even in the arena football format, the winner of the coin toss still has a big advantage since they will get the ball first when the game finally does become sudden death.)

I've never heard anyone else talk about this idea. What does everyone here think?

youtalkfunny
12-11-2003, 05:59 AM
[ QUOTE ]
It doesn't significantly change the rules of the game (like the college format), and it doesn't give a huge advantage to the winner of the coin toss (the advantage of having the ball first is offset by poor field position.)

[/ QUOTE ]

I respectfully find fault with both of these sentences.

1. But it DOES significantly change the rules of the game: it abolishes a big chunk of special-teams play!

2. WHAT huge advantage does the winner of the coin-toss get? Historically, they've gone barely over .500.

There's nothing wrong with the NFL's OT! It's the COLLEGE OT that's got to go!

I know, I know, I'm the only man in America who thinks so.

But when you get past the first couple of innings, the game becomes a joke. Those poor defensive players are sucking wind BIG TIME, and the offenses are scoring on them so easily, that the defensive unit that is ON THE BENCH doesn't even get a chance to catch its breath! "We gave up a TD, get off the field! I need some water! I need some oxygen! What? We scored ALREADY? Dammit!"

Keep the NFL OT. Dump the NCAA OT.

andyfox
12-11-2003, 01:41 PM
I like it better than the current policies in both the pros and college, but I'd prefer an extra period. You pay a full period and whoever's ahead at the end wins. If it's still tied, you play another period.

jstnrgrs
12-11-2003, 03:24 PM
Well, I don't think that the elimination of one play (the kickoff) would qualify as a big chunk.
The huge advantage that the winner of the coin toss is the ability to kick a field goal often after moving the ball as little as 30 yards.
I do agree that the current NFL format is better than the NCAA format.

jstnrgrs
12-11-2003, 03:27 PM
I like your suggestion, but to be truly fair, you would have to play two extra periods with each team getting to re3cieve to start one of them. If the game is still tied, play two more. It sounds good if you like four or five hour games (which I do.)

banditbdl
12-11-2003, 03:32 PM
You should ask the Chiefs and Dante Hall how big a chunk of the game the kickoff can be.

youtalkfunny
12-11-2003, 09:35 PM
[ QUOTE ]
The huge advantage that the winner of the coin toss is the ability to kick a field goal often after moving the ball as little as 30 yards.

[/ QUOTE ]
If that were a "huge advantage", than why does the winner of the toss barely win 52% of the time?