PDA

View Full Version : Gummint Food Warning

HDPM
12-11-2003, 02:22 AM
Here's a link to the gov sort of telling people not to eat tuna. web page (http://www.washingtonpost.com/ac2/wp-dyn/A54516-2003Dec10?language=printer)

The article is kind of funny. It looks pretty obvious that tuna and other fish/seafood have some real problems. But the government is doing focus groups to figure out how to word a warning. Let's not let facts get in the way of the focus group or anything. The taxpayers paid for this study, so how do we package it? I love the quote about "people are just so scared.... Nah, who's worried about eating mercury.

Actually, I have been reading some stuff (don't laugh) and think that maybe z and Feeney (if he really eats tofu pups) are onto something. It is kind of scary what kind of crap is in animal based foods. I never thought I'd give up a medium rare t-bone, pizza, ice cream, or green chile, but you never know. Kind of makes me shudder when I think of the piles of garbage I have eaten in life. Vegans can drink whisky right? /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Zeno
12-11-2003, 03:06 AM
The FDA issues many warnings and usually under pressure from scare groups. They are so ultra conservative that I personal rarely take stock in what they say. The article provides no hard data or numbers or even qualifies the probably difference between species, or area of catch. It may be of some concern but they should have provided some reliable reference. Environmentalists are always screaming about something and always ratchet small concerns into do or die scenarios. It makes them feel useful.

Just eat away. Your are going to die no matter what. Besides, the sooner you die the sooner you get to heaven and shake hands with Jesus.

Besides, I think we should be talking about important things, like what should be the next gun purchase etc. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

-Zeno

Ray Zee
12-11-2003, 10:16 AM
the reaql problem is what we are doing to our environment. fish are full of mercury, air is poison, 50% of the wter supplies are contaminated. but why be alarmed. its just those wacky environmentalists ruining things again.
the govt. and college studies have shown so much of this stuff causes cancer and other health problems. but who knows anyone that has gotten cancer or any of the other things we just name after a person.

John Feeney
12-11-2003, 04:36 PM
I've been doing a lot of research lately on contaminants in drinking water supplies. That will make you think twice too. For example, you'd be amazed at the major American cites which have arsenic in their drinking water (for which there is no known safe limit) at levels which should lead to, say, one cancer death per 1000 people, or even worse. IMO, that's pretty bad. See this (http://nrdc.org/water/drinking/qarsenic.asp), for example.

Oh, and Tofu pups are really pretty decent, though they can seem a little rubbery as a steady diet.

HDPM
12-11-2003, 06:12 PM
Yeah, I know some of our city officials are worried about tighter arsenic standards coming from the feds. But I don't remember what our arsenic situation is off hand. We weren't on the cite you linked.

Based on what I have seen tho, you can cut your exposure to a lot of stuff by cutting the animal products out. Fat and cholesterol of course, but also bacteria, antibiotics, hormones, pesticides, contaminants like mercury etc..., as well as stuff they just don't know a lot about. I know you can never get away from all contaminants or risk no matter what you do (i.e. the arsenic you mentioned can get in there naturally), but I know I have shoved more bad stuff down my neck than I can imagine. Plant based stuff isn't risk free, but way lower risk than the crap I routinely ate. I suppose I always knew it had some risks, but I avoided thinking about some of the risks. The first time I ever did was when I was in England during the mad cow scare. For the first time I avoided beef on purpose and lived to tell about it. So I guess at some level I valued my brain more than beef, which some neutral observers would dispute. But that was several years ago and countless doses of beef and animal products ago, and I never thought about the food supply here. I probably should have. The beer and wine was excellent over there and I didn't mind avoiding beef. Maybe that is the key, and as I mentioned above I can become an alco-vegitarian and not suffer too much. /images/graemlins/smirk.gif

Terry
12-11-2003, 07:47 PM
I think you'll find the following link interesting.

JTrout
12-11-2003, 07:55 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Vegans can drink whisky right?

[/ QUOTE ]

Drinking whiskey kills all contaminents, therefore cancels out all that is bad!

Zeno
12-11-2003, 09:00 PM
In crystal form it makes for great snowballs also, so it has entertainment value too.

-Zeno

John Feeney
12-12-2003, 04:53 PM
DHMO who?

DHMO you doin' posting somethin' like that? /images/graemlins/shocked.gif

John Feeney
12-12-2003, 05:01 PM
Also, you can avoid some of that stuff by going organic - if it's available in your area - with any chicken, eggs, etc.

Bill Murphy
12-15-2003, 10:41 PM
Ate sushi last night. W/toke, $41. Caligula never had a finer meal. Highlight was the albacore in ponzu, w/garlic & green onion on top.

"Fvck you, cancer. Down the hatch." - Stephen King

gabyyyyy
12-15-2003, 11:43 PM
The Iodine found in fish and other raw seafood, is one of the leading causes of thyroid cancer.

HDPM
12-15-2003, 11:52 PM
It takes a brave man to eat sushi in SLC. /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Mark Heide
12-16-2003, 04:38 AM
HDPM,

There was a show on PBS about the tuna and people getting sick from eating. The recommendation was not to eat more than one can of tuna a week. I recommend you don't eat any. Don't forget big business runs the United States. The government is not there for the common citizen, it is their to protect the rich.

Good Luck

Mark