PDA

View Full Version : Continually-variable texture?

03-15-2002, 03:30 PM
I have begun to appreciate how fickle the texture of any given table can be, changing over the hours or even moments. When you're the first to begin capitalizing on changes it can be quite rewarding, and conversely you can get burned if you don't keep up. "Adapt or perish."

I'd like to believe a more proactive approach might be engineered. I bet many experts do this on a subconcious level at least, and some folks like Caro might make overt moves to this end all the time.

Two questions:

1) What do you use as a metric to chart and exploit this, and what other thoughts do you all have?

2) S&M seem to allude to pieces of this in their special sections of HPFAP. What might be done to force changes in texture of a ring game so that you might show greater profit?

03-17-2002, 02:33 AM
1. I try to keep a running guesstimate on what level of hands win the pots. Are they big cards, or just any two cards that got lucky. This helps keep my mind on the game.

2. I prefer games that are loose and on the aggressive side. I also like to chat. So when I am in a stodgy game, ie, bet call, call, bet, and so forth, I will start chatting up my left and right sides, tell jokes, and laugh more to get the game texture to change. I also show lot's of surprise at 'actually' winning a hand. One of two things happen, either the game changes because the rock's and grump's aren't happy and they leave, or they all gang up against me. Either one is good for my game. jmo