PDA

View Full Version : Hand from last nights Two Plus Two table

Mike Gallo
12-10-2003, 09:39 AM
I played this hand against a new member of the table. This hand will demonstrate why a player needs a better hand to call a raise with than to make a raise with.

I open raise with K /images/graemlins/club.gif 10 /images/graemlins/spade.gif from late postion. BigJay0074 calls everyone else folds.

Flop A /images/graemlins/heart.gif J /images/graemlins/club.gif Q /images/graemlins/spade.gif

I flopped the nut straight. I decide to bet knowing an Ace will reraise or call. I doubt BigJay will put me on a monster. Most players would slow play in this spot, however I decided to leave deception at the door.I decided playing straight forward would add deception. Jay calls.

Turn A /images/graemlins/heart.gifJ /images/graemlins/club.gifQ /images/graemlins/spade.gif5 /images/graemlins/heart.gif

I check with the intention of check raising, Jay walks into the trap and bets, I raise he reraises I cap. I put him on Aces up and hope the board doesnt pair.

River A /images/graemlins/heart.gifJ /images/graemlins/club.gifQ /images/graemlins/spade.gif5 /images/graemlins/heart.gifK /images/graemlins/diamond.gif

I bet, BigJay calls and I have the winning hand.

Jay showed down A /images/graemlins/diamond.gif5 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif. He caught just enough of the flop to get him in trouble and on the turn he caught the worst possible card for him, and the best possible card for me.

ElSapo
12-10-2003, 10:36 AM
So you opened-raised from, say, the cutoff, and he called from the button? I don't really like the call, but maybe it's ok. Maybe a three-bet is better?

My first inclination is to fold it. But given the table, maybe you can't do that. Well, you can, but you raise with plenty of hands here that A5s beats. But if he does flop that ace and gets action, how much will he like it?

On the turn, I don't like his three-bet of the checkraise.

I think I would have just folded my A5s and not worried about it.

WDC
12-10-2003, 11:03 AM
Depending on your blind stealing standards, I don't think that his call is terrible, although for me it would have been a three bet or fold situation.

I do like you betting the flop, I think that it does add to the deception of having a monster. I also agree that his three bet on the turn was unjustified, although with two pair I am calling you down.

Mike Gallo
12-10-2003, 11:09 AM
I don't think that his call is terrible, although for me it would have been a three bet or fold situation.

I agree, I thought he should have three bet with Ax suited against a potential blind stealer.