PDA

View Full Version : Two calls - would you make these?

SacraVia
12-10-2003, 03:47 AM
PP - NL $25
Somewhat typical table- Loose/passive preflop with alot of bluffing going on post flop. Some real bad players calling with junk and one guy that is begining to tilt.

Hand #1

SacraVia - MP+2 has 8 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif 8 /images/graemlins/spade.gif w/ $20

UTG limps, UTG+2 limps (Weak/Tight w/ $31), MP limps (no read w/ $32) Sacravia limps, CO (loose/aggressive player - raises with allot of marginal hands, tilting, w/ $48) raises to 3.75, UTG folds, rest call including me.

3 /images/graemlins/spade.gif 9 /images/graemlins/spade.gif 5 /images/graemlins/heart.gif - Pot = ~$16

UTG+2 checks, MP Checks, I check, CO makes it $5, UTG+2 folds, MP folds, (Do you call this bet? Given the CO tendancy to over play his hands I am not sure he has big pockets...) SacraVia calls.

Turn = 3 /images/graemlins/heart.gif ($30)

Sacravia Checks
CO pauses - then bets $5
SacraVia ALLIN for 11$
CO calls.

Hand #2 same table

SacraVia - UTG+1 - A /images/graemlins/heart.gif K /images/graemlins/club.gif w/ $48

Make it 2.50 to go, Folded to BB (tight/weak w/ $28) who cold calls.

Flop comes down - T /images/graemlins/club.gif 7 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif 5 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif

BB Checks
SacraVia bets out a half the pot - $3 - (should this be pot sized?)
BB calls (pot is $11)

Turn is K /images/graemlins/diamond.gif

BB Checks
SacraVia bets $8
BB Raises to $23

Do you call - what does he have?

Reads, Results to follow.

SacraVia
12-10-2003, 03:58 AM
Hand #1

I think my call on the flop was wrong. I did not hit my set and should have folded. However, I did not value this players bets and could not put him on a big PP. On the turn his little bet into the descent pot screamed weak and I immediately knew he had Overcards, hence I raised all in.

He had A /images/graemlins/diamond.gifQ /images/graemlins/diamond.gif and I took the pot.

Hand #2

Preflop is standard. I think I should have bet the pot on the flop or at least 3/4 - the bet of 3 dollars was weak. Beyond that, my bet on the turn was good but his raise flumuxed me.

Here is what went through my mind. I could not put him on the flush because he would not have gone all in especially when I had been showing strenth, I dont think anyone would do that at this level. So I have him on a small PP or high Kx, like KQ, KJ or KT representing the flush. I was worried about the set primarily though KT was another strong possibility.

I settled on Kx and called.

He turned over K /images/graemlins/spade.gif J /images/graemlins/spade.gif and I dragged it home.

Are these good reads or am I missing a step that may cause me to meat disaster soon?

Guy McSucker
12-10-2003, 04:10 AM
Hand 1

The CO raises $3.25 more and your stack is $20. That makes it a tricky decision whether or not to call with pocket 8s. There are very few flops you will like that don't have an 8 in them, and the bet is a large enough proportion of your stack that you will need to double up a lot of the time you make a set, if that's your only goal. (BTW, see the thread below entitled "Stars PLH: going with a read" for good thoughts from Zag and others on playing for a set.) But, there are three other callers, and you close the betting, so I think a call is okay. If this guy will bet most flops, you will also have the best position on the flop round, because you can check it to him and let him bet through the field.

9-5-3 two spades. That's a tricky flop. You don't know if someone has you beat, but they might well be checking top pair or better to the raiser, so I like your check. Though you don't really want to let someone hit a flush if you're currently ahead, you don't like your hand so much that a free card will really cost you. You may never know anyway!

When the CO bets and everyone else folds, it's decision time. $21 in the pot, $5 to call, and $16 remaining in your stack. Either fold (you missed your set) or push in (you put him on overcards). Calling is a bad move because you will be out of position on the next round with no idea if he just hit his hand, or had you beat all along, or what.

Hand 2

Decent play preflop. I like your flop bet too. Any amount from half to full pot is fine, as long as you don't give away your hand by the size of your bet.

On the turn, you hit your hand, but the flush draw comes in. Ulp. When he checks, check it back. The reason for this is precisely because of what happened here: you would hate to get check-raised, because you have enough hand that you won't be happy folding, but not enough that you are happy moving in. The other option which prevents this situation is to move in yourself, but that's a big bet and one that will only be called when you're losing, so is not the right move either.

Having checked the turn you probably have to call any bet up to pot size on the river, unless a fourth diamond comes, because your check might induce a bluff.

Guy.

Zag
12-10-2003, 12:02 PM
Hand 1: 88

Preflop, if you are only two off the button, I am tempted to raise preflop and maybe buy the button. But I would limp much of the time, also. After CO raised and there were a couple of calls, the call is easy.

On that flop, I would absolutely come out betting. That 9 didn't help him so now you only have to fear a bigger pair. If CO raises, then I would decide between laying it down and reraising all in, depending on just how much on tilt I think he really is. By waiting until the turn to make a big move, and then check-raising, your raise ended up being only $6 into a $40 pot. That won't push anybody out. Did you really assume you were best, there?

Hand 2: (AK) Preflop raise is good. The raise on the flop should be exactly the same as you would raise with KK, which should be at least 2/3 of the pot with all those possible draws out there. When he calls, assume he is either on a draw or slowplaying a set.

On the turn, the K looks good, until you realize that it completed his draw. Bet about 2/3 of the pot again and fold to a check-raise. If he just calls the bet and checks to you again on the river, check behind. If he calls the bet and then bets out on the river, well, you have a tough decision. What I like to do there is to decide in advance exactly how much of a bet I will call, typically 1/4 to 1/2 of the pot, and (try to) stick with it.