PDA

View Full Version : Was I the LAG here?

Ulysses
12-10-2003, 02:58 AM
6-max Party 10-20.

I have [ 9s, Ts ] in BB

Folded to terrible Button, who calls. Super loose and aggressive SB raises. I call. Button calls.

** Dealing Flop ** : [ 2s, 6h, Th ]

SB bets, I raise, Button cold-calls, SB calls.

** Dealing Turn ** : [ 8s ]

SB checks, I bet, Button calls, SB check-raises, I 3-bet, Button cold-calls again, SB calls.

** Dealing River ** : [ Qs ]

That's nice. SB checks, I bet.

Was I out of line here?

Clarkmeister
12-10-2003, 03:04 AM
I don't think you were out of line.

There's a good chance you are behind on the turn, but the pot is big enough that its worth cleaning up your straight and 2 pair outs. Even if that fails, you have enough outs that getting 2-1 isn't a disaster. Besides, its unlikely but you may still be in the lead.

Ulysses
12-10-2003, 03:12 AM

Schneids
12-10-2003, 03:15 AM
nm

stripsqueez
12-10-2003, 03:48 AM
i play too much short handed - looks normal to me

i can only think that you got nailed by a bigger flush to bother posting this hand

stripsqueez - chickenhawk

Ulysses
12-10-2003, 03:59 AM
[ QUOTE ]
i play too much short handed - looks normal to me

i can only think that you got nailed by a bigger flush to bother posting this hand

[/ QUOTE ]

No, I posted it for two reasons.

One, I couldn't believe Button's hand when I checked out the hand history.

Two, I played 3 hours today and had the swingiest session I've ever had. 2 or 3 tables of 10-20 ranging from heads-up to 6-handed.

Hour 1: -70BB then +50BB
Hour 2: -30BB then +30BB
Hour 3: -50BB then +70BB

If I would have just played the second thirty minutes of each hour, this would have been an epic win. As it went, it was perhaps my most interesting "even" session ever. But I was just bouncing around so much that I wondered whether my really shorthanded (2- or 3-handed) play is getting me to play a little out of control when it gets 5- or 6-handed.

elysium
12-10-2003, 04:42 AM
hi ulysses
perfect play.

elindauer
12-10-2003, 05:32 AM
I think you played it perfectly. The turn 3-bet looks better and better to me. With regard to the BB... he may very well call with a heart flush draw, and fold a better ten, which is just ideal for you.

You have to worry about the SB having you beaten at this point of course, but you have quite a draw going on your own.

Besides, 3-betting is fun.

Ulysses
12-10-2003, 06:09 AM
[ QUOTE ]

Hour 1: -70BB then +50BB
Hour 2: -30BB then +30BB
Hour 3: -50BB then +70BB

[/ QUOTE ]

This is weird. I decided to play one more hour. In the first 30 minutes of play on some rammin' and jammin' tables, a series of turned set v. my overpairs, rivered gutshot straights v. my sets, etc., left me down 60BB. I then proceeded to catch my own nice flops and rivers and ended the one hour session up 5BB.

Hour 4: -60BB then +65BB

It's amazing what just a single maniac on one of these tables can do to your variance.

stripsqueez
12-10-2003, 11:21 AM
"i couldnt beleive the buttons hand when i checked the hand history" - thats kind of what i meant when i said you got nailed by a flush - i was picturing the button as chasing some filthy flush draw that got home - the format of a post often makes it hard to be objective in giving an opinion because the answer is suggested in the question - now that i know you had to check the hand history i have a broader range of guesses available

hmmm..."terrible button"...82o ?

but seriously - i have been playing lots of 20/40 lately when the full school is short - i will play out the orbit once it gets to around 7-8 handed and look elsewhere - so i find myself with the dilema of adjusting from heads up to 8 handed rapidly - i have no strategic advice you wouldnt of heard or know - 5 handed i can almost do on auto pilot - 4 handed doesnt feel a lot different - 6-8 handed i just play much tighter - 3 handed i find tricky to adjust to and like you i worry that i over or under adjust - K4o starts to look a lot like a raise on the button and i find myself completing the SB when the button folds with stuff like 84s

until i get a bit of a feel for the game i try to play tight because i figure that the worst i can do before i have had time to sniff the breeze is blow some blinds - i dont neccesarily recommend this idea though - it occurs to me that it might be just as valid, arguably better, to play like a maniac when you start and then adjust down - its a lot about image - your probably a mile in front by knowing you have a problem...

stripsqueez - chickenhawk

Ulysses
12-10-2003, 06:40 PM
Button called, SB folded (?), my hand was good. I can't figure what SB had. He definitely didn't have a pair of tens beat, otherwise he'd call on the end 100%.

So, I was indeed ahead of him on the turn. But Button, that was a big surprise.

His hand? 8h2h. I was really surprised he didn't raise the turn on either of his two chances.

I play in full games live and have no problem adjusting when they go short or fill up. But online, the tables I'm at often are 3-handed w/ me v. two super aggressive near maniacs. I think I'm losing a few bets when a couple of more normal opponents join these tables and I don't adjust quickly enough, partly because the change is less noticeable when you're playing multiple tables at once. Yesterday, the tables I was playing at were shifting between 3 to 6 players quite a bit and there were always a couple of super-aggros at the table. I think that's why I saw such huge swings back and forth.