PDA

View Full Version : Politically Correct . . .

andyfox
12-10-2003, 01:35 AM
. . . was something John Ruskin wasn't. The famous 19th century English art critic once called a work by Whistler that displeased him a "pot of paint" and Whistler himself a "coxcomb." Whistler sued and won, sort of. He was awarded a farthing.

Here's what Ruskin thought about the western world's architecture of the 17th, 18th and 19th centuries:

"The whole mass of architecture founded on Greek and Roman models, which we have been in the habit of building for the last three centuries, is utterly devoid of all life, virtue, honorableness, or power of doing good. It is base, unnatrual, unfruitful, unenjoyable, and impious. Pagan in origin, proud and unholy in its revival, paralyzed in old age, yet making a prey, in its dotage, of all the good and living things that were sprining around it in their youth, an architecture invented, it seems, to make plagiarists of its architects, slaves of its workmen, and sybarites of its inhabitants: an architecture in which intellect is idle, invention impossible, but in which all luxury is gratified, and all insolence fortified; the first thing we have to do is to cast it out, and shake the dust of it from our feet forever."

Talk about speaking your mind! Ruskin inherited money, so he didn't have to work and could say what he wanted to. The above is from [i]The Stones of Venice in which Ruskin said he had made every effort to conceal his personal feelings throughout the book! I've been wending my way through an abridged edition (the unabridged is close to half a million words) in anticipation of a possible visit to Venice next year. What a writer. Virginia Woolf said, about his writing, that "we find ourselves marvelling at the words, as if all the fountains of the English language had been set playing in the sunlight for our pleasure."

One of the greatest books ever written is Ruskin's Unto This Last, which Ghandi said transformed his life.

Who among us now comes close to being a Ruskin?

MMMMMM
12-10-2003, 01:42 AM
I don't know who, but the excerpt made me curious as to what type of architecture Ruskin preferred and thought full of life, virtue, honorableness, and the power of doing good...

andyfox
12-10-2003, 02:05 AM
Gothic.

According to Ruskin, medieval craftsmen, though they may have been primitive or ignorant or clumsy or crude in both their character and their work, were free to express themselves. Thus their buildings expressed that freedom. Modern workmen, according to Ruskin, were slaves to the technology of mass-production and capitalist exploitation. This enslavement began with the Renaissance and therefore he hated almost all Renaissance building. "I believe the architects of the last three centuries to have been wrong; wrong without exception; wrong totally, and from the foundation."

Ruskin complained that nobody believed him, and he was right. But everybody loved the way he said things (except maybe for Whistler) even when they disagreed with what he said.

He had allies in Pugin and the great William Morris. The style of architecture these three liked didn't make much impact; but their thinking on the subject did powerfully affect the modernists of the early 1900s and the second wave of modernists of the 1920s. And the new skeleton frame construction of the 20th century did resemble in some ways, Gothic construction, at least in principles, although I'm pretty sure Ruskin would have hated modern architecture (and with good reason).