PDA

View Full Version : overplay Ace King Suited?

Firebirdflush
12-09-2003, 11:32 PM
I was at a game last nite, i ended up buying in for a bout 70 dollars, and after dropping some big hands and going down to about 10, i had worked my way back up to about 50 or 60. I wanted to at least get even and then i had to leave to do some work. Got dealt A /images/graemlins/heart.gifK /images/graemlins/heart.gif as the BB. A few bets and raises put it at about 25 to call, so i raise to 35. guy next to me ( who was about 500 down for the night and playing like he wanted to lose) called ( I knew he didnt have a hand) and one other guy, whos generally the winningest player i generally play with, thinks about it and raises me all in. the first player ( the one down 500) mucks his hand out of turn. I think about it and call. THe one who raised me had been playing relatively loose ( i knew he didnt have pocket AA; he wouldnt have played them that strongly) and i think he was just trying to buy the pot. So i call with my last 20 or so and we go to the flop. its my A /images/graemlins/heart.gifK /images/graemlins/heart.gif and he turns over a pair of queen jack off suit. nothing for either of us on the flop, but the turn comes queen and so does the river just to rub it in. So i was out for the nite, disappointed. My question is really how strong of a hand IS suited AK?? Im surprised he called me with that ( he usually plays tighter) and i know he was just trying to buy it, and a bad beat killed me, but in general how strong of a hand was mine? I dont usually end up goin to too many flops with that hand, and rarely do i drop it to a runner runner set of ladies.

Schneids
12-10-2003, 03:04 AM
You should probably post this in the NL forum.

They will probably tell you something like you usually want to push all in with AKh, not be calling all-in with it. They will also probably tell you if you know this guy would play a monster slower, that a call by you becomes more correct since most likely you're winning or are a coin flip.

Some may also tell you it's usually not a good idea to get it in your mind that you'll play until you get to even (or any X amount), but rather to simply play until you no longer want to/fading attention, have other stuff to do, your game is fading, or the game you're in is no longer profitable for you. Hopefully you can figure out why it's not good to set these numbers in your head beforehand.

Hope this helps, but don't really expect much feedback here. Try PL/NL forum.

Firebirdflush
12-10-2003, 12:55 PM
ok thanks, sorry about the wrong forum. i usually dont play with any set number, and if my game went sour or i felt like leaving i would, i just would also leave once i got back to even depending on the feel, but that had nothing to do with my call. if he had just called me i would have pushed all in on the flop. thanks, ill post it in the other forum