PDA

View Full Version : Free Agent Baseball Signings

Dynasty
12-09-2003, 10:06 PM
I've been a bit surprised by some of the free agent signings in baseball over the last few weeks. Players are going to teams and accepting positions I wasn't anticipating.

Anaheim Starting Pitchers

The Angels added Bartolo Colon today to their previous signing of Kelvim Escobar. Combined with Jarod Washburn, Ramon Ortiz, and John Lackey (or Aaron Sele or Scot Shields), the Angels have a really good and deep starting rotation. That depth may make the potential trade of Washburn to the Red Sox for Garciaparra a stronger possibility.

I think the Angels will be a force again in the AL West competing with both the A's and Mariners.

Twins lose their bullpen

The most stunning off-season signing was today. Former Twins closer Eddie Guardado, probably the second best closer in the AL in 2003, signed to be a set-up man with the Seattle Mariners. This comes after LaTroy Hawkins left to sign with the Cubs. These two guys were the best pitchers the Twins had in the bullpen and leaves a gaping hole there. The Twins will need to make some good signings to hold on to their AL Central advantage.

Guardado was the second should-be closer to sign as a set-up man. The Yankees signed Tom Gordon who could have been a closer on many teams, even the Red Sox.

Sooga
12-09-2003, 10:19 PM
As an actual Anaheim Angels fan (and no, not just since 2002, as Josh W will confirm), I'm pretty excited about this coming season. But I don't think they're gonna really compete, barring some 2002-like miracle. I just don't think their offense is going to cut it. Granted, they had a ton of injuries to wade through last year, but they only had 2 full time regulars to hit over .800, Salmon and GA. Their infield is surprisingly weak, unless Glaus returns to 2000 form. In any case, I refuse to believe he is just a .250 hitter. I don't think a .275/.350/.550/35/110 season is a stretch if he stays healthy. The rest of the infield I'm not sure about. As sad as it is, David Eckstein was a waste of 500 at bats, and AK's season was just decent for a middle infielder. And they REALLY need to find a full time first baseman. Wooten/Spiezio isn't gonna cut it. While I don't think their offensive woes will match the other L.A. team, I don't think they'll score enough runs to really compete in the always-competitive AL West. Oh well. At least I'm not gonna have to wait my entire lifetime to see them win a championship.

andyfox
12-09-2003, 11:32 PM
Word here in L.A. is that even if the Manny for A-Rod, Nomar for Washburn (and others) scenario doesn't work out, the Angels will move either Washburn or Ortiz (possibly both) for hitting help anyway. Original word was Glaus and Washburn for Nomar, which would be +EV for Boston. Glaus still had a good OBP even with the low batting average last year and should draw even more walks hitting in Boston.

As for Guardado, I hadn't realize the extent of his improvement, having watched him struggle in the post-season the last two years. But he's been a better pitcher almost every year he's been with the Twins, and last year he was indeed excellent, allowing fewer baserunners than innings pitched. If Sasaki doesn't fully recover from last year's injury, of if he falters in any way, look for Eddie to take over as Seattle's closer.

Utah
12-09-2003, 11:35 PM
The loss of 3 Twins stars just goes to show that baseball is still a huge joke and it is simply a game of the haves and the have nots.

To talk about filling this and that hole is worthless.

banditbdl
12-10-2003, 12:14 AM
I'm not all that worried about the Twins AL Central hold as the White Sox have been gutted and can never get their act together. The division as a whole is a laughing stock. However, the Twins indeed better make some quality moves if they hope to be any sort of force in the postseason again.

Dynasty
12-10-2003, 06:28 PM
[ QUOTE ]
The loss of 3 Twins stars just goes to show that baseball is still a huge joke and it is simply a game of the haves and the have nots.

To talk about filling this and that hole is worthless.

[/ QUOTE ]

The Twins made competitive bids for both Guardado and Hawkins. Those players let for reasons beyond money. I think Guardado wanted to be closer to his California home. One of the reasons Pierzynski was traded was to ensure the Twins could resign their free agents.

The 2003 Florida Marlins were "have nots". So were the 2002 Anaheim Angels.

Utah
12-10-2003, 06:34 PM
One of the reasons Pierzynski was traded was to ensure the Twins could resign their free agents.

This isn't football. The Twins didn't have to release anybody to ensure they could sign their free agents. I don't see the big market clubs releasing their stars.

The 2003 Florida Marlins were "have nots". So were the 2002 Anaheim Angels.

7,2 offsuit can crack AA, maybe even a couple of times in a row. In the long run though, 7,2 is dead.

Outside of the Twins, I just hate to see what has happened to baseball over the last 10 years. There is simply on beauty in creating a team anymore. Now, the biggest factor is who spends the most money. Too sad.

andyfox
12-11-2003, 01:37 PM
NEW YORK (AP) - Andy Pettitte will pitch at home, agreeing Thursday to a $31.5 million, three-year contract with the Houston Astros after playing his entire major league career for the New York Yankees.

New York immediately went to its backup plan, closing in on a trade with Los Angeles that would send Kevin Brown to the Yankees for Jeff Weaver in a swap of starters, a baseball official said on the condition of anonymity.

Pettitte made his decision after weighing a new offer from the Yankees on Wednesday night, another baseball source said, also on the condition of anonymity.

He took $7.5 million less to sign with the Astros - the Yankees' last offer was for $39 million over three years, both sources said. But the Astros play near Pettitte's hometown of Deer Park, an important factor for the pitcher's wife and children.

Kurn, son of Mogh
12-11-2003, 06:11 PM
I don't see the big market clubs releasing their stars.

That's only because nobody wanted Manny for $20M