PDA

View Full Version : Most Retarded Item of the Day

Utah
12-09-2003, 09:26 PM
NFL issues new coach interviewing policy. http://www.sportsline.com/nfl/story/6908541

Seems a little out of whack to me. Especially given the huge statistical anomoly of blacks playing in the league versus their population percentage.

I think that the NFL should issue a policy saying that whenever a team needs a new running back that they need to give tryouts to white running backs to make sure that the team is drawing from the a complete and diverse talent pool.

Glenn
12-09-2003, 09:33 PM
It's not retarded...it's differently abled /images/graemlins/smile.gif.

Bill Murphy
12-09-2003, 10:43 PM
And it also, like the "Tiger Woods of Poker" thing, has already been done to death.

FWIW IMO the Lions got screwed, but it's very hard for the 49ers to justify hiring Erickson over Cottrell(and the Niners are my team). It also was very unimaginitive and "safe".

And what an idiot Erickson was for leaving OSU. He could've been Joe Paterno there, and he'll be lucky to see 2005 in Frisco. Same w/Butch Davis. College coaches have it made in the shade compared to pro coaches. Going to the NFL would've been a step DOWN for Paterno, Bowden, Osborne, Bryant, etc.

Dr Wogga
12-09-2003, 10:51 PM
....college coaches are kings of their fiefdom. Look at stupid Pitino, leaving Ky for the Celtics only to end up at Louisville. Butch Davis, Spurrier & Erickson all have 1 thing in common - they will be unemployed soon. Pete Carroll is set at USC as is Al Groh at UVA. Any coach who leaves an NCAA FB or BB factory for the pros is a dope. Well said Bill

banditbdl
12-09-2003, 11:25 PM
Given that such a large percentage of coaches are former players one would think the anomaly you speak of would also be reflected in the coaching ranks. However, it is not. The league clearly has an issue in regards to hiring minority coaches. (Although they're still way ahead of the NCAA ranks.) That said I'm not sure how effective the interview requirement is.

Utah
12-09-2003, 11:38 PM
In fear of beating a dead horse....

Who says players make good coaches.

league clearly has an issue in regards to hiring minority coaches

Does the league have an issue in regards to hiring white running backs?

banditbdl
12-10-2003, 12:06 AM
I'm not saying players make good coaches, just that many coaches are former players, and a much higher percentage of white former players are coaches than the percentage of black players who go on to be coaches, especially head coaches. The problem may stem from prejudicial hiring procedures, poor support for aspiring black coaches from their community, or both. I don't know. But either way it is a problem.

As for the running backs, no. What do you base such a statement on? Are there highly regarded white running backs running around not getting a shot, or having to wait longer then they should to get one? Because if there are I haven't seen them.

Utah
12-10-2003, 12:30 AM
The problem may stem from prejudicial hiring procedures, poor support for aspiring black coaches from their community, or both. I don't know. But either way it is a problem.

Is it just possible that whites make better coaches than blacks?

As for the running backs, no. What do you base such a statement on? Are there highly regarded white running backs running around not getting a shot, or having to wait longer then they should to get one? Because if there are I haven't seen them.

Hmmm....how do you explain the fact that whites outnumber blacks something like 9 to 1 in the population yet whites are greatly outnumbered at the running back position?

Please reconcile your answer here with your answer to the first question.

Boris
12-10-2003, 01:26 PM
The difference is that whites have always had a chance to play running back and the metrics of deteriming a good running back are relatively easy to measure.

Blacks have made the allegation that they are not given the opportunity to coach. Certainly I think you would have a difficult time proving this allegation false, especially in view of recent history.

So to answer your questions, I think there is no doubt that blacks in general make better running backs than whites. Repeated testing has shown that the top performing blacks tend to outperform the top performing whites at this position.

Question #2 - Is it just possible that whites make better coaches than blacks? Of course its possible but right now there is no way you can tell.

Utah
12-10-2003, 04:08 PM
Great response.

Lets say your right, which you may very well be. What if blacks are given the chance and they fail compared to white coaches. Do you think that the PC police and all those clamoring for more opportunity for black head coaches will say, "well, we gave it our best shot. I guess we are just not as good at coaching and we therefore accept the fact that most coaches will be white"? But I think we know the answer to that question.

I guess, the fact that these people are completely disingenuous when it comes to accepting blacks as superior to whites in some instances but never accepting whites as superior to blacks in some instances does not neccessarily mean that they are wrong in that blacks are being denied opportunities because they are black (although it is certainly not proven that they are correct - only that my logic was fuzzy).

Again, I like you answer. Although it is predicated on the fact that we accept comparative race superiority in certain areas.

Bill Murphy
12-10-2003, 11:31 PM
I'm praying my boy Urban Meyer learns from Rick Majerus...