PDA

View Full Version : Seen On A Church

HDPM
12-09-2003, 07:26 PM
I hate the new trend that churches are putting pithy little religious sayings on their signs. Occasionally they are funny, but more often they are just dumb. And of course none of the little phrases has gotten me into their establishment. But anyway, I saw one just now on a decrepit looking little church. It had their new little motto - PUSH. Pray Until Something Happens. Hmmm. OK. That's not hoping for much. It also doesn't take too long. So I took them up on it. I am not exactly a pray-er, so I didn't know where to start. I don't really know the words to any handy prayers or anything. But I started, and as soon as I could get a word out, something happened. So I started again and something happened again. Nothing big, but something, multiple things actually, did, in fact, happen. So I figure I did what they said and am now covered. /images/graemlins/laugh.gif /images/graemlins/tongue.gif /images/graemlins/smirk.gif

John Cole
12-10-2003, 12:15 AM
Keep in mind, HDPM, "it is hard to kick against the pricks."

baggins
12-10-2003, 01:14 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I hate the new trend that churches are putting pithy little religious sayings on their signs.

[/ QUOTE ]

it's not new, actually. they've been doing it for a long time. unfortunately, it's so dumb, but churches think it's clever. people don't go to church for 'clever'. anyway, i think its dumb too. i don't blame you for not wanting to go to that church. but don't write off all churches because some are dumb as hell...

Zeno
12-10-2003, 04:19 AM
Acts chp.26, v.13-15 KJV [Paul is giving "testimony" to King Agrippa]

13. At midday, O king, I saw in the way a light from heaven, above the brightness of the sun, shining round about me and them which journeyed with me.

14. And when we were all fallen to the earth, I heard a voice speaking to me in the Hebrew tongue, Saul, Saul, why persecutest thou me? it is hard for thee to kick against the pricks.

15. And I said, Who art thou, Lord? And he said, I am Jesus whom thou persecutest.

Jesus, apparently, speaks Hebrew from heaven but on earth he spoke Aramaic, and then God wrote the New Testament in Greek. And bad Greek at that, if Nietzsche is to be believe. The ways of the Lord are truly mysterious.

Kicking against the pricks has got to hurt, and more than just yourself – right?

-Zeno

Phat Mack
12-10-2003, 08:36 AM
When I was a kid I prayed for a bicycle. But then I realized that's not how prayer works. So I stole a bicycle and prayed for forgiveness.

-Imo Phillips

Ragnar
12-10-2003, 08:54 AM
I did see a funny one awhile back, and enjoyed it even though I'm an atheist, If God is your co-pilot change seats"

Ragnar

nicky g
12-10-2003, 09:00 AM
One near where I live:
What's missing here: CH--CH.

UR

hoho. Sorry HPDM; you probably weren't hoping to have to read a bunch more of these.

Chris Alger
12-10-2003, 10:58 AM
"I hate the new trend that churches are putting pithy little religious sayings on their signs."

Amen. Passing one of these can really sour an otherwise pleasant drive on a brisk Colorado morning.

Utah
12-10-2003, 11:08 AM
As far as pithy sayings, I am still quite fond of someone's response to:

"Jesus Saves"
"But Gretzky scores on the rebound"

John Cole
12-10-2003, 08:55 PM
http://www.commonplacebook.com/songs/plasticjesus.shtm

scalf
12-10-2003, 09:03 PM
/images/graemlins/blush.gif..hd: of course, down here in palmetto st.' we say pray to the lord, but blast to hell any s.o.b. who wants to steal your land....

gl /images/graemlins/confused.gif /images/graemlins/heart.gif

Zeno
12-11-2003, 02:39 AM
Check out this:

For you dashboard (http://www.junkparadise.com/items/33202.html)

And this:

For your home (http://www.cjgreen.net/sermons/glow.htm)

The second one comes with a free sermon. Enjoy.

-Zeno

Ragnar
12-11-2003, 09:23 PM
I don't care if it rains or freezes,
Long as I got my plastic Jesus
sitting on the dashboard of my car

(Song in the 60's)

Ragnar