PDA

View Full Version : Strong hands in first orbit

Jamie Collins
12-09-2003, 06:07 PM
On-line 15/30: I guess the distinction of 'the first orbit' is that your opponent has no read on you.

I post in MP raise preflop and no one calls. So that's the extent of my image.

BB comes around, MP raises, all fold and I call with AA. Flop comes 679 rainbow. I CR, he re-raises. I call.
Turn is a K. I CR, he calls.
River is an 8. No flush possible. I lead bet - he calls and I'm good.

Couple hands later I have KK in cut-off. Player to my left open-raises. I 3 bet, all fold, he calls.
Flop is 2c 3d Qc. He bets I raise, he 3 bets, I 4 bet.
Turn is 10h. He checks and calls my bet.
River is 9s. He checks and calls my bet.

I felt fortunate to get calls through the river. Anyone play these differently?

Regards,

Jamie

Barry
12-09-2003, 06:18 PM
Posting in MP does send out a message. But unless you did it on purpose to send out a "I don't know what I'm doing" message, wait until the BB gets to you.

BB hand I suppose that's 1 way to play it, but I prefer the 3-bet pre-flop and bet/raise all the way method.

CO hand is fine, but with position you could call the 3-bet and raise the turn, if you were pretty sure that he was going to bet the turn.

Jamie Collins
12-09-2003, 08:04 PM
Hi Barry,

Thanks for the response. 10 seat was button, 9 was out, 8 was reserved, 7 was playing so I was only 1 hand removed from posting in last possible position. But I guess that can be considered LP or MP.

In any case when someone posts early, I don't think "That player doesn't know what he's doing". When the dealer asks do you want to post, and they respond with "What does that mean?" -- then I think they're a novice. I see all different types post early. Mainly action players but no correlation to experience.

The preflop smooth call with AA heads-up was the easiest street for me. Too often I 3 bet, bet the flop and they fold.

Regards,

Jamie