PDA

View Full Version : 7 stud h/lo pl or nl!!

JP789
12-09-2003, 04:54 PM
Does anyone know of any online sites that offer hi/lo stud nl or pl?

Thanx in advance, JP

SevenStuda
12-10-2003, 01:59 PM
Paradise Poker.

Andy B
12-10-2003, 09:00 PM
I looked at Paradise and didn't see any pot-limit stud/8 tables. I would be very surprised if any sites offered it. The live ones would have absolutely no chance.

Cooling Heels
12-10-2003, 10:08 PM
Agreed, there is no stud/8 PL at Paradise. And their
limit stud/8 isn't very good.

Just finished playing small blind draw PL at Planet Poker
tho; that is a fun way to chase the BB jackpot.

nicky g
12-11-2003, 01:51 PM
This probably is no help but Ladbrokes offers 7card hi PL and NL.

Al_Capone_Junior
12-11-2003, 04:40 PM
stud (either type) just doesn't work well no limit or pot limit. I have never seen it online and hope I never do.

al

nicky g
12-12-2003, 08:29 AM
I disagree. Both hi and hi-lo are enjoyable pot-limit games, and frequently played over here. I agree they risk killing off the fish in a cardroom, but in a home game they're great as part of a dealer's choice set up. Why don't you like them?

Al_Capone_Junior
12-12-2003, 10:55 AM
I don't like them because too frequently players wind up all in on 4th or 5th. The format lends itself much better to hold'em than stud. However, if someone does like them, more power to them. Just thought I would point out potential pitfalls.

al

DavidK
12-12-2003, 04:46 PM
Many like to play stud Mississippi-style at pot-limit. You deal 4th street and 5th street together, and 7th street is dealt face up.

12-13-2003, 05:17 PM
The Gaming Club has 7 and 5 card Stud (hi only) PL and NL.

Usually one of both games running. Mostly .50/1.

Cooling Heels
12-13-2003, 09:36 PM
Also not what you asked, but 24hPOKER has 7 stud high only
pot limit. Not that I play it, the only pot limit I play
is 5 card draw. Too many betting rounds in stud for
me to play pot limit, but it sees more play in Europe.

nicky g
12-17-2003, 10:13 AM
Huh; that rarely happens when I play it but then I don't play against very aggressive players. I agree NL would be a terrible fomrat for it for this reason, but I think PL is fine as long as there's plenty of money. Another suggestion I've seen for PL stud hilo to combat this is to deal 4 cards on the first round insteaed of 3.

Phat Mack
12-17-2003, 11:03 AM
There has been a fairly big NL stud-8 game going in my neck of the woods for over twenty years. It is played with blinds and a large ante from the button. Action always begins at the dealer's left.

I think the players who want to move in on 3rd and 4th streets may burn brightly for a few plays, but they don't last long. The games seem to find an equilibrium between the stacks on the table and the dead money in the pot that encouages "play" rather than suicidal moves.

On the other hand, I played in some NL declare games in the 60's with a bet-declare-bet format: those games never lasted more than a session or two.

Cyndie
12-18-2003, 02:46 PM
I will be working with a card room after the first of the year, and we will definitely be catering to stud players. There is a trial no limit game, and we can format whatever we want, but my tendency would be to go for pot limit and i like the reduced betting rounds of two streets at once. I have not thought about 7th street face up.

Not meaning to spam, but players who know me know stud is far and away my favorite game, and I would like to see a site where it is cherished. We had one small site a while ago that gave some good promotions to stud games, and proportionately there was lots of stud and omaha action.

This is not the site in my signature...that site has only holdem.

Iceman
12-26-2003, 11:26 AM
"I disagree. Both hi and hi-lo are enjoyable pot-limit games, and frequently played over here. I agree they risk killing off the fish in a cardroom, but in a home game they're great as part of a dealer's choice set up. Why don't you like them?"

I tried PL stud, and it sucked. You can't really play most drawing hands, since you have to call a full pot bet just to get one card and since you usually won't make anything after you hit your hand since in most cases it's obvious if you hit it. When the high-card opens, unless he's very loose there's almost nothing you can play against him, unless you're prepared to put your whole stack in behind a likely second-best pair (and if an ace raiser doesn't have AA, your KK is not much of a favorite over something like (55)A or an ace-high 3-flush.) Because of the partial information and the fact that you only get one card at a time, there's very little natural action in stud unless it's played limit with at least a moderate ante. That said, if you have total idiots in the game, it would be very profitable. But that's true of almost any PL game.