PDA

View Full Version : can i fold?

elysium
12-09-2003, 04:07 PM
loose marginal 10-20 'know what your holding'.

pretty cut and dry, nothing sensational, so basically i will just focus here on my question.

i'm on the button with AQs and flop QJXr. the only player to call my flop bet is the SB. i put him on J7, and am fairly confident about this read. he could have J8 as well. he knows i know what he's holding, and i know he knows i know. what's his tell? middle pair, he exhibits one gold tooth; top pair two gold teeth.

i look left. he has middle pair and.......weak kicker. so i know he will fold on the river, and am planning on betting out on the river to fold. pretty basic.

the turn; J /images/graemlins/frown.gif.....you guessed it /images/graemlins/grin.gif

i bet out angrily and get check-raised. can i fold? i'm not getting the odds to spike.

Ulysses
12-09-2003, 04:20 PM
[ QUOTE ]
can i fold?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes.

JTG51
12-09-2003, 04:35 PM
Why'd you bet the turn when you knew he had the J? Afterall, he only exhibited one gold tooth, right?

Wiscer
12-09-2003, 04:38 PM
He had to see if it was fools gold or not.

andyfox
12-09-2003, 04:40 PM
i put him on J7, and am fairly confident about this read. he could have J8 as well. he knows i know what he's holding, and i know he knows i know. . . the turn; J . . . i bet out angrily"

Can't be. If you know he has J7 or J8 why bet the turn?

Anyway, simple matter of math here. If you're 100% sure he has a jack, and you're not getting odds to spike, you can fold. If you're less than 100% sure, adjust your thinking correspondingly.

Wouldn't this have been a great spot to check the turn? A) if he has a jack you save money; B) if he doesn't have a jack he might be tempted to bluff the river since you opened from the button and would bet just about any flop; and C) there's only one rank of overcard to your pair that can hurt you on the river.

I am curious, though, as to how he "exhibits" the gilded teethage. I have visions of him taking them out and putting them, talismanically, on top of his cards.

andyfox
12-09-2003, 04:41 PM
You're absolutely pyrite.

JTG51
12-09-2003, 04:48 PM
nm

elysium
12-09-2003, 05:00 PM
hi andy
no. but he did check-bluff with a notithable lithp.

elysium
12-09-2003, 05:07 PM
hi ulysses
this is the greatest advice i have ever been given.

andyfox
12-09-2003, 05:18 PM

LetsRock
12-09-2003, 05:20 PM
I guess I'm a little confused....

You have a read that you're banking on as 100% solid gold (sorry /images/graemlins/blush.gif) pure and
1) you fell for a c/r? and
2) you are asking if you should fold?

What good is your read if you have to ask this question!

OK where's the camera.....

tpir90036
12-09-2003, 08:31 PM

I.Rowboat
12-09-2003, 09:08 PM
As Andy said, what was the purpose of betting the turn? If you are 100% sure of what he's holding, then the CR should make this an easy laydown. However, if you were determined to invest another bet in this pot and/or are not 100% sure of his holding, why not check behind him on the turn and call his almost-certain river bet? Same cost, but it allows you to see the river for free. Besides, if he has a J the river can only help you, and if he has a Q, the river can only hurt you if he has a K kicker and spikes it.