PDA

View Full Version : Has this ever happened to you?

Josh W
12-09-2003, 05:27 AM
I went to Vegas this past weekend. I was playing 30-60 at the Bellagio when this happened.

I'm stuck a little, and am raising preflop fairly often (a lot of AK, QQ, AQ, etc), and folding on the flop for one bet (789 flops A LOT in Vegas, I see /images/graemlins/smile.gif).

I open raise about 3rd in with AJc. The button cold calls, and the blinds fold. The button is overaggressive, and loose.

The flop comes 753, rainbow, no clubs. I hesitated (accidently, not acting) then bet. The button had three chips in his hand, started to throw them in, then said "raise" before he put his chips in (a perfectly legal raise).

Right then, right there, I knew I was going to see a showdown.

Now, often, when headsup, I decide on the flop that I'm showdown committed (i.e. I raise preflop w/ AQ, and get threebet, and the flop comes Q high).

But this was unique for me, in that I had no pair no draw (except backdoor pair draws), and knew I was going to showdown.

Seemed odd to me at the time...

Josh

Josh W
12-09-2003, 05:31 AM
When the button coldcalled my raise preflop, I put him on two facecards. I felt that any pocket pair or big ace, and he would have threebet preflop.

So, as much as the flop missed me, it likely missed him, too. And, since I likely started with the best, I was gonna see a showdown.

If it came K, Q, runner runner, I may have folded. But even then, I'd probably tell myself that I beat JT, AT, and 98s, so I may have called.

As it turned out, I threebet the flop, and he fourbet. I called.

The turn was a 4, and I check/called.

The river was a 2, and I called his bet before I realized I made a straight. I was going to check/call the river no matter what card came, so this lapse didnt' hurt me.

He turned over KTo, and I took it down.

Josh

Ulysses
12-09-2003, 06:33 AM
Yes, w/ pretty much the same situation and line of thinking.